Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Moving along

 The small victories come and go. Life is always ups and down.


Last night for example, I started not feeling the best. That has continued into today and I feel like I am dragging ass. I am hoping the coffee kicks in soon. 

I did get on the bike last night before I was feeling off. It wasn't a fast ride, but it was a ride. It was just about 35 minutes on Zwift. Not fast, not far, just a ride. I have to chalk this up in the small victory column. I didn't ride at all over the weekend. And a short ride is better than no ride. 

Legs feel pretty good, just no power. My attention is generally on my elbow. Just over 2 months removed from surgery and it is still healing. I know this is a long process, and I am doing my best to remember that I had a tendon reconnected and I should be grateful I can ride at all. The elbow starts to ache around the 20 minute mark. I have to keep adjusting my grip to try to alleviate the ache. I flex it back and forth too, trying to ensure circulation. By 30 minutes I am pretty much done. I had to keep going last night to complete my route, so ended up with about 35 minutes. Again, a tick in the plus column.

These short rides will help me build my base for 2025. 


Yes....2025.

I know its only July of 2024 and it seems like 'next year' is so far away, but it will be here before we know it. I mean, Barry Roubaix is only 38ish weeks away. lol. What a crazy thing to think about. I am sitting here thinking about events that are anywhere from 3/4 to a full year away. Bananas. However, I am thinking about these events because I know I have a lot of work to do. So knowing how long I have to get that work done is important. 

I am 1000% a numbers guy. I analyze everything. It gives me better vision on my long term goals. An example would be to complete the 62 mile course at Barry Roubaix. I fell way short in 2023, finishing just over 30 miles. Sure it was hot, and excuse, excuse excuse. Whatever the reason, I gave up and didn't finish. So, finishing the longer course is a big goal. I can build up to that over the nearly 9 months I have before crossing the start line. 

That means riding a lot. I do plan to. Just have to build up my strength so I can ride longer. It is a work in progress. Its only a few weeks until I should be cleared to ride normal. I will still have to take it somewhat easy as I won't be completely healed, but I will be able to be outside. That gives me 2 weeks to build up enough strength to handle an hour or more on the road. Slowly but surely I will get there. Just have to continue with the small victories every day. 



That does bring up another thought for me. I was watching a video from BR 62 from this year. It is Joseph Lampen's POV from the race. Link is here. In my events, I am generally alone. I ride with a few people in the beginning, but then it all dissipates and I am on an island. There are a few reasons. Mainly, I am not fast enough to keep up with the main group. That is ok, because the speeds and size of the group can make the ride sketchy. There are lots of smaller groups, and I can't hang with them either. Then there are the stragglers like me. People that get spit out of the groups and ride solo most of the event. My reason for not teaming up with these riders is that they simply lack the experience of 'group riding'. Many of the stragglers don't know how to work with another rider, let alone a group of riders. To do this takes some level of trust, and if a rider is squirrely I don't like to stay close. 

I want to be strong enough in 2025 to stick with one of the smaller groups. A group of people that can work together to get to the finish line. Could be 5 or 10. Doesn't matter. Just a group that understands how to work together, and that rides my pace. It makes the ride faster, shorter, and less boring. On many of my races I am alone. While that is ok, its better to have people around you. So, one of my goals is to hang with a faster group as long as I can. Maybe even the finish line. 

To do this....I have to keep laying the foundation blocks. One at a time. I will keep moving along. 






No comments:

Post a Comment