Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2024

Small victory.....

Small victories have to be recognized. People on the outside that don't know what has been going on with me might not even have noticed that I have been off the bike since April 16th. 

Yeah, the last time I threw a leg over a bike was April 16th.....wow.


Well, my reasons here were known. I did have a real injury and real excuses. I still technically do. I am not cleared to ride until August. So, a few more weeks of waiting.


However, I was told I could ride the trainer. And I threatened for weeks that I would actually dust off the bike and get started again, I just never actually did. 

Finally....84 days later....I was back on the trainer. First pedal stroke in almost 3 months. Sheesh.


This was the small victory.


I pulled myself out of the hole I have been hiding in and forced myself to ride. Now, it wasn't long. It was only 30 minutes, but that is 30 minutes that I put toward my future self. A single step is always greater than not moving at all.

Then, last night I went down there again for another 30 minutes. Nothing super exciting. But you cannot build anything without a solid foundation. These small steps will be the stones that are laid to create the foundation for 2025. I know, I know! Its only JULY! But listen....my riding was scattered before I actually stopped. And my last winter wasn't great. So my foundation is weak. I will acknowledge this. 

While that foundation may be weak, it can be built up again (and again if needed). This is how everyone is. I am not really starting from scratch, I have the materials...I just need to do the work.


Continued small victories every day will start to add up. I had applied for a management position within my company. We couldn't agree to terms on salary, so I refused to take the job, or they rejected my counteroffer. Take it however you want, I was not in the best mood. I have had a few good days of eating leading into yesterday. With the stress levels high, I reached for the chips. But I put them back. Walked away and did something else for a bit. Then I came back in again and reached for them again. Nope, put those fuckers down. I put them down again and changed laundry. Distracted myself for a bit. Then it was around 5 and my stress was elevated again. Once again, I wandered to the chips and stood there looking at them. What will they hurt? I mean, I am already heavy....so what will have a bag of chips hurt. Thankfully, I was able to walk away one last time....leaving the chips right were they sat. Instead I had some peppers and some veggie dip. Before you scoff at the dip....its homemade and WAAAAAAAY better for me than the chips. While not perfect, I was able to be present in the moment and stop my binge style eating. Victory. 


Small or large....the victories need to be noted. I have ridden the bike 2 days in a row and I have avoided some of the comfort foods I normally attack in stressful moments. If I can keep having these victories I will continue to build and strengthen the foundation. It will never be perfect, but I can develop the habits to keep the foundation strong. Stay on the path to being happy and healthy. 


I am reading a book right now that addresses negative thinking, negative self talk, and self-destructive patterns. It is interesting to read through here and see things that I either currently do or have done in the past. Being able to reframe situations and how I respond to them will help with the foundation too. I know life won't be all sunshine and rainbows, but I am working on understanding what I have control over and how I can respond to everything else. One small step at a time.


I will get there....just like I got to the top of the Koko Crater in January. It was hard. But one step at a time I got closer. Even when I had to stop and rest, I was able to look back and see the progress. It can be done, and I have to keep telling myself that. 


Keep moving forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment