Pages

Monday, September 30, 2024

Operation Phoenix Week 5

Hard to believe I am into my 6th week post-op. Here we go....


While I experienced dramatic weight loss in the first 3 weeks, that has leveled out. I really couldn't expect to continue to loose weight at a clip of 6 or 7 pounds a week. As awesome as that was early on, it simply isn't a healthy thing for my body. Instead, a reasonable loss is anywhere from one to three pounds a week. If I can average two pounds a week moving forward, I will reach my goal....eventually. End goal is just to keep the scales moving in the right direction. Big or small losses, if I am trending toward my goal I will be happy. 

Mentally, I am doing pretty good overall. I have had some moments where I really struggled to remember why I did this in the first place. Moments where I wanted to swing into the gas station and buy garbage that I shouldn't. Moments still where I just wanted a salad. In reality, I just want to eat what I would classify as "normal". I want to be able to eat real food when it is time for me to eat. I am pretty tired of 'smooth' foods at this point. This is my last week, thankfully....but I understand why babies spit that shit out half the time. While some of it tastes good, I just want to chew. lol. Sounds funny, but that is how I feel. Give me a hard boiled egg, and let me chew it up. Give me a small salad. Give me a bite of steak. LET ME CHEW DAMMIT. 

Overall, feeling pretty good. I do notice that I get tired super fast. This is another side effect I am not fond of. While I have been able to do some longer rides, I pay the price for them. As an example, two weekends ago I did an easy 10 mile ride on Kal-Haven. I was asleep at 8pm that night. The next two days I was just feeling worn out. So I notice that recovery takes longer and I feel more fatigued. I do understand that this is normal, but I don't like it. I keep moving, try to fight through it. But my body needs rest. I am not exactly sure what my calorie intake is....but I know its super low compared to where it needs to be. On Friday I move back to 'normal' diet, and I will be able to track easier. Making a puree with chicken, broccoli, and cream of chicken soup....then eating a small portion at a time...makes is very hard. Having a small chicken breast and a measured portion of veggies.....much easier. I still won't be able to eat a lot, but I just believe it will be easier to keep track of everything. 


I did do a few outside rides this past weekend. First, I rode the Custer's Last Stand course and made sure it was all marked. It was raining when I left home, so I opted for Albert instead of my new bike. So, I hauled a 35 plus pound fat bike around Custer for 9 miles. Overall it was a good ride with a lot of stops and starts in the first half. I can say with absolute certainty that I lack climbing power. I made all but 1 of the climbs (which isn't hard at Custer) but did have to walk one. Legs were just blah at that moment and I just walked a bit. I cleared the rest, so that was a positive sign for me. I tried to push as hard as I could, but it just isn't there yet. It did feel good to be out, enjoying the sport I love. As the race was starting I started to wonder if maybe anyone was signed up for Beginner Clyde or Fatbike. I figured maybe I could race and get an award for my efforts, if nobody else was there. After pondering that a bit, I knew it was a bad idea. I struggled at the end of the 9 miles....and would have really struggled with another full lap. I headed home instead, and took a nap in the afternoon.

Sunday, I got up and headed to Kal-Haven again. Planning on a 15 mile ride with friends, I loaded up the MTB and headed out. Mountain bike, because I need new bar tape for the gravel bike. So the Mudhorn was weapon of choice. People that were coming started dropping like flies on my drive down. Everyone had stuff to do, so I ended up riding alone. I did a short out and back to ensure nobody else was coming, then headed down the main trail. Being downhill, the first few miles are easy. Eventually I reached the 7.5 mile mark and turned around. To my surprise, I felt a wind in my face. Apparently I had a tailwind that first segment as well. Well, that wasn't going to help on the way back. Overall it didn't bother me much, and I just plugged away. Focusing on cadence and keeping my heart rate under control. At one of the last road crossings I could hear a car coming. Then a BLARING horn as they approached the intersection. I was kind of shocked that they were honking at me, because I was barely moving and not even to the road yet. lol. I mean, thanks for the heads up dude.....but that was un-necessary. This is where the rail trail turns uphill. Its a grind for sure, even with it not being steep. Its just a churn back up to 10th street. I made it, and was glad to be done. Finishing with around 17 miles, that is my longest ride in forever. Like....longest ride since the end of March. Yikes. When I got home I showered, and napped. lol. 

I am learning my limits here, and pushing them a bit. I am guessing that 20 is going to be major limit for a while. I head to doc on Friday. I hope to pick the brain of the physiologist to see what I can do for energy right now. I need to learn the right foods to eat and how to push my limits without doing damage. Last thing I want or need is a setback. I just want to build my endurance and keep losing weight. So I know its a balance, and more to learn.



Weight loss since starting program: 35.2
Weight loss since surgery: 27.0

Sometimes the Phoenix doesn't rise from the ashes as fast as we would like, but it is still rising.

No comments:

Post a Comment