Pages

Monday, September 2, 2024

Operation Phoenix

 Where do I start?.....well....lets go back to childhood.


Childhood

Overall I would say I was a normal kid. Grew up on a lake so I was in the water pretty much every day. I swam, rode my bike, golfed, played baseball, and the strangely attractive Yard Jarts. Amazingly we never took an eye out, or even had a awry jart in any feet. Baseball was my main sport. I was a decent player, usually all-star level until high school. The all star trips stopped when the balls started to curve. Unlike Tony Gwinn, I couldn't see the spin of the ball. Took what I thought was a curve ball, that ended up being a fast ball, off the cheek and slowly the love of the game started to fade. I continued golfing, and ended up playing varsity for 2 years. Pretty normal.


Early Adulthood

Things changed in early adulthood. I met a woman that I thought was the love of my life, got married, had a pile of kids.....thats normal right? Of course it is. The problems started for me and my weight within a few years. I was 23 years old, working in a factory. Weight was slowly creeping up. While still holding under 220, it was time to do something about it. We had a weight loss competition at work. I dropped all the way down to 180 pounds. At 6 foot 1, this is pretty much my ideal weight. I was playing basketball, doing Tae-bo, and eating pretty good. Overall, active and healthy. On September 9th of 1999 that changed. I was being Grant Hill and I spun around, sliding and flexing my foot to the point of fracture. Within a few weeks on crutches my weight shot back up to 217. This was when the problems started. Trying to work run on a broken foot isn't fun. Plus, new baby and a toddler....things were changing.

Over the next couple of years I honestly couldn't tell you where I tipped the scales. It was in 2003 when I started a new job in Indiana where the real issues started. My drive was over 90 minutes each way. So that meant I was eating breakfast in the car, eating at buffets for lunch, and eating dinner on the way home, again in the car. I distinctly remember having a weight loss competition with a supplier and when I stepped on the scale I was shocked. I read the number outloud....275. Over the course of the year since I was working in Indiana I had gained over 50 pounds. It wasn't like I was even that old....I haven't even hit 30 yet. 

Still, over the course of the next 15 years I ebbed and flowed. That 275 was pretty much my max. I did get down in to the 230s once. Tim and I had started cycling and that really helped me lose weight. In 2015 when I did Lumberack, I was just under that 250 mark. Maybe not super impressive, but finishing 100 miles at that weight is an accomplishment I will take with me to the grave. Still, trying to watch what I ate was increasingly difficult. I tried to lose the weight, I was just never successful.


The divorce and PE

In 2018 I came to the conclusion that it was time for me to move on from my marriage. High stress and extremely low happiness helped make that decision. It was time. I won't get into anything on it here, its all water under the bridge. But, I was very very unhealthy. I was eating like garbage, I was drinking heavy, and I was lazy as fuck. All of these factors led to a pretty substantial life event for me. Some of you may know, some may not. In the Summer of 2019 I nearly died from a saddle pulmonary embolism. Meaning, I had a big ass blood clot that was present in both lungs. Massive, like bigger than an orange. Frankly, I was lucky that my symptoms finally made me go to the doctor.

Even that near death experience wasn't enough to change my ways. Sure I started moving around a bit more, but I didn't change my eating habits. Slowly the scale approached that magic 300 number. I hadn't seen it yet, but was knocking on the door. Its funny, I remember working with a guy that told me I should just go over 300. Its like a rite of passage he claimed. He was a weight lifter, so he just wanted me to bulk up like him. Unintentionally, I did reach that 300 mark. Then I got to 305. Then it was 307. I believe that is the highest reading I ever saw on the scale. 


The arrival

Over the last few years I again have waffled from 300 plus all the way down to the 260's. Fad diets that work great to reset your system, but don't do anything for longevity were the thing. Whole 30 is no joke. I highly recommend it to everyone....simply to clear the toxins out of your system. It works great. After that, you need a plan. I have never really had one. Just kind of go with the flow and hope it all works out. Last fall I injured my elbow. This changed the entire outlook of 2024 for me. I started the year apprehensive about a heavy riding load. I wanted to, but noticed even in the spring that my body and mind were elsewhere. Then it was determined I would need the tendon repair. This put put me off the bike from early May until nearly August. Not great for someone wanting to be fast on the bike. 

So I sluffed off. Packed on the pounds again. But then there were whispers within the household. Whispers of an activity that could change everything for the better. Funny thing was, it wasn't for me. It was for Chris and her constant pain issues. Because I am generally the curious sort, I looked into it as well. More or less just to see what it would look like. After seeing 305 on the scale yet again, I sent a message to my doctor asking his thoughts. Within an hour there was a referral waiting. No discussion. No other options. A referral. 

I waffled......is this really what I want to do? Do I take the proverbial 'easy way out'? Do I just fucking give up? During the next couple of weeks I waited for a call from the referral. I don't remember exactly how long, but eventually they texted. Then it became a bit more real. No, I don't really want to do this. I can do this on my own. My curiosity got the best of me and I answered the text. Within a few texts the person on the other end asked me if I was ready to make an appointment. I had asked a few general questions, and it was now beyond their knowledge as to what I would need to do. So I answered yes, and 3 dates and times were quickly responded to my phone. 

I chose one.....not really sure I wanted to. But I did. Within two weeks I found myself sitting in a doctors office I never imagined I would be sitting in. Then the normal triage items of weight, blood pressure, and general questions. Nerves....they were begging to tick up at this moment before a surgeon waltzed in the door. In his late 50's he introduced himself as Dr. Baker. His very first question was "why do you want to learn about this option today?" I was sort of caught off guard by the question. He wasn't here to sell, he was wondering why I wanted to learn more. I explained nearly everything above you have read to this point. He smiled and nodded as he listened. 

Then with one sentence he completely changed everything for me. He explained how our weights have a set point. Over time, that set point can fluctuate. However, once that point is set high....it becomes very difficult to move the set point back down. Also, in a world of plenty like we have the body just gets lazy and doesn't stay prepared for famine. This is one of my major issues, abundance of food and my ability to consume said abundance. 

When I parked my car at the office that day I never imagined how quickly my mind would have fluttered to the dark side. That 'easy way out' type of solution. Dr. Baker talked for another 20 minutes and explained everything with a very deep knowledge. I don't like when I can't conjure up any questions, but he had his delivery nailed. He shook my hand and walked out. Before the door closed a physicians assistant was back in with a handful of items. One of which was a binder for me, with a lot of information and things I would need in the upcoming months. 

Now I have heard that in general this can be a 6 month process from the time you decide to the time of the action. I was walking out the door thinking my future would be changed by Christmas. Well, insurance approved and I was booking 5 appointments that would be arriving and completed in less than 3 weeks. Shocking how fast it can actually work. I had a physical, I met with a registered dietician, then had a EDG for them to take a peek at my inners. EDG is a scope that goes down the throat and they check the stomach. These were followed up by a visit to a behavioralist and finalized with a exercise physiologist. The last one was originally scheduled out into August, and I got a call they had an opening I could take so it got moved up nearly 2 weeks. Progress, needless to say, was alarmingly fast. 

Still moving quickly, a major day and the main day were scheduled. What went from a 6 month process was to be completed in just about 7 weeks. This has good and bad things to it. Bad, it is gonna be here QUICK. Good, I am not given the multiple months to talk my shit out it. I scheduled both of the remaining days, and reality started to set in. This is happening. It went from asking if I even qualify, to happening in no time. 


The BIG day

The Big day was a half day at the office. There were 5 other people in a good sized presentation room. One by one the dieticians, physiologists, behavioralists, and others came in and did their part of the presentation. The last week before surgery patients are required to be on their products. Page by page we whittled down breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, drinks, bars and chips before each of had our lists completed. Those lists went to the store and we continued with the presentation. At the end, they came and got us one by one for another physical. After another slew of questions and the actual physical I wandered back over the store where I picked up my meal plan for the next week. This was a week before the MAIN day.


THE MAIN DAY.

Christine and I arrived at the center around 11:30. Now the nerves are starting to flutter. I got to my room and got ready. They started the IV. Gave me drugs....don't ask me because I have no clue. For the next couple of hours there were hospital admins, nurses, anesthesiologists, helpers, physician assistants, medical assistants, medical students, and finally a Surgeon in and out of the room. Surgery was delayed  by another surgeon so they were nearly an hour behind. The nurse had to shave my belly. For those blessed enough to have seen me without a shirt on  you know I am a hairy person. Lisa calls me a squatch. lol. So she slowly clipped and removed the hair. Seeing my belly for the first time I ever remember without hair is a funny thing. I didn't really like it. Ugly. lol. The hair covers a lot. However, everyone was super friendly and asking the typical questions. The one med student was the funniest. He was super tall and lanky kid in his 20's. Awkward. So I had to make it worse. He slowly approached and with a soft voice introduced himself to state (and ask) "I am a current med student at Calvin, do you mind if I stand in for your surgery today?" Not being one to care, I answered with the proper "Of course you can" followed abruptly with a "but don't touch me" which made the room of people laugh. I couldn't pass it up, it was an easy homerun. 

Then it was time. Kissed Chris goodbye and a very young doctorate training anesthesiologist wash wheeling me down the hall. How do I know this....she made a point of telling us twice in my room. lol. Super nice young lady, proud of what she is working towards. The last doors kicked open and it was time to do the big slide onto the cold metal slap of an operating table. My friend that I told not to touch me was there so I smiled and waved hello. I managed to get over there and they were doing all their things. Heart monitors everywhere, IV hooked up to the good stuff, and most importantly making sure I did fall on my ass. I got settled and I felt a hand grab mine. It was our young training anesthesiologist waiting her turn to put me out of my misery. "deep breaths for me Sean"...came from above as the oxygen mask was applied. 

Then over the course of the next 2 hours I have no clue what was going on in that room. Dr. Baker was working his magic and putting incisions around my midriff. I was never going to be an AB model, but that ship has surely sailed now. 

I woke up to my name being called. Its always amazing to wake up in a completely different room with a whole different crew of people. Gratefully, I was feeling pretty good. They took heed of my issues with the drugs on my last surgery. Honestly, I have no clue how long I was in that room. Its all pretty foggy. Thinking back I don't remember even going through the halls to finally arrive at my room where I would be staying the night. I chatted with Chris but was in and out of it for the next few hours. Eventually night arrived and Chris headed home. 

The surgery was over.......but the story is only beginning.



I know this was long. Thank you for reading. Honestly, this has taken me over a week to finish. I also know I NEVER said what the surgery was. Some of you know. Some of you have guessed. Others I have told. I kept it pretty close knit this time around. Stay tuned, I will go into details of that first night. And get into details of the first week. I will have a TON to share and just had to start it like this. 






No comments:

Post a Comment