Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

BIKE REVIEW: 2013 Giant Trance X 29er Level 0


It is time. Now that I have some more miles on this bike....here is my review.

Dan (Custer Cyclery) sent me this pic when it was ready to rock.


2013 Giant Trance X 29er 0
Frame Large
Fox 32 Float 29 FIT CTD w/15 QR thru-axle, OverDrive 2, 120mm Travel
Fox Fload CTD Boostvalve rear shock
Thomson Elite Seatpost
Fi'zi:k Gobi XM Saddle (manganese rails)
Time ATAC Pedals
Shimano Deore XT 1x10 (w/32 tooth RaceFace front ring)
Shimano Deore XT Shadow Plus (rear derailleur)
Shimano Deore XT brakes (180mm front, 160mm rear)
Chimano HG81 11x36, 10 Speed Cassette
Giant P-TRX 29er 1 Wheel system
Schwable Rocket Rons (tubeless)

RaceFace 32T ring. Blue. Bling.

Ok....this is the bike I have wanted for a long time. I was finally able to pick it up and haven't looked back since. I was loaned this bike for the Yankee TT but it had the Easton Haven carbon wheels on it....so it was a bit lighter...but I fell in love with the bike at that moment. 

So...fast forward to when I bought it. I picked it up June 27th, the day before the Sweat Shaker race. If you know me....you know that I took 3rd in that race. Again....it solidified the idea that I really wanted this bike.

Now, 2 months later I have had a chance to race it one more time and put in some solid training rides. Because it is a 29er it will roll over anything. The long travel soaks up the bumps. I have the fork and the shock set on the trail setting. Kind of the middle of the road setting. The bike rides smooth. Period. It is sluggish in the corners....and I struggle to keep speed in and out of the corners. I am still learning how to ride it, but I am getting faster and learning every time I am on it. 

Honestly....I really don't know how to review a bike....other than to give the pros and cons. It is light....for a full suspension bike. The wheels are strong....with their DT swiss hubs....and pretty light. The rocket rons hook up awesome. Once I learn how to push harder into the corners and trust the ride I will be faster yet. I like the ability of the bike to roll over anything that is in the way. What I noticed is that if I can keep the wheels rolling that the bike keeps rolling. I don't accelerate out of corners well....and the 29er really slows down if I allow it to. If I push into the corners and pedal quicker out of the corners then I can keep it moving faster. Again...still learning. I know it is a weakness.


Pretty good for a 5" Travel mountain bike.

But....I have a lot more confidence on the bike. I am learning every time I am on it how to push it harder. I am not a top notch rider....I would say I am an average rider. So...my weaknesses might be highlighted a bit more by the bigger wheels...but once I get them rolling look out! I can fly on the flats with the 1x10 drivetrain. Next year maybe I will be strong enough to move to a 34 tooth ring on the front...but for now the 32 tooth is good enough. I am a terrible climber and I can clear nearly anything that I have run into with the setup I have. 

So....that is it I guess. I love the bike....and need to get better. that is all. Until next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment