Pages

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Tough Week

It was a weird and tough week for training. Having things to do on Monday and Tuesday meant no riding. Then Wednesday I did manage to get out. Thursday was training at the gym. Then I used excuses to not ride Saturday....or so far today on Sunday. But, lets get to it....

Wednesday I headed to Yankee, because...why not? Yankee is usually quiet and I just needed to clear my head. I headed there alone simply to ride. I was surprised how busy the parking lot was, especially for Yankee. Normally this trail is quiet this time of year. Regardless, I headed out for a long ride. I started on the short warm-up loop. I was feeling pretty good. I forgot that the trail has changed a bit and was really enjoying the flow again. Right away it was quiet, and then there was a huge sand pit. It was expected, but it was awful. I plodded along. I reached the parking lot and headed onto the long trail. One thing I do not like about the new Ardents I am riding is the way they react in the sand. They grab. Not in a good way. I am used to floating thru the sand and now I have to be careful where my weight is because I can get dumped in a hurry. The first section has a good sandy area and it grabbed me. I was leaning right and the bike went right. Thankfully I didn't go down, but I was on my toes already.

I was feeling ok. Right away my brain started wandering to thoughts of making it thru without dabbing a foot or walking any hills. Small accomplishments that I need to keep moving forward. It felt good to be out there, suffering, at Yankee. I was working my way up the ditch climb when I had to dab. Some sand and loose gravel sucked me in. Not a huge deal. Slowly I reached the next climb. At this point, I was still trying to make the climbs. It ended. Because of the loose gravel and sandy conditions at Yankee, I couldn't do it. I have to spin a lower gear (because I am weak right now) and was just spinning out. 

It turned into a trudging. Each mile was harder and harder. I knew it would, but it was still good to be out. Yankee has a way of smacking you around no matter how good you are feeling. I cannot believe I did triples and a quad there in 2015. Yikes.

I did sign up for the Founders Fall Fondo last night. Not a "race" just a ride on the infamous Barry Roubaix course. I signed up for the 36 miler. I might slide to the 22 miler, but I guess we will see what happens there. I will get out for a long ride, maybe Barry, next weekend. My focus will turn to training here real soon. RIght now, motivation is much needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment