Pages

Friday, July 13, 2018

Fast.....a highly relative term

"Dude is fast"

"that guy is a strong rider"

"he got so much faster"

These are all things I heard on our ride last night. While the comments were all correct, the word "fast" is still a relative term. I myself can be "fast" or "strong". It depends on what benchmark is being used.

I am not "fast" when compared to Matt Acker. He is a qualified "strong and fast" rider. A pro. I cannot compare myself to him because we are on different levels. My benchmark is much lower. Does that mean I am slow? Well, yes and now. Slow is another relative term that is used when describing a ride or a rider. I use the word slow all of the time, simply because I ride with people that are "faster" than me. 

My ride last night felt slow, but in reality was a full mile per hour faster than my last ride. Sure, not "fast" but for me it was considered "fast". And that is the qualifier. The word "me". As a rider I get "faster" and "stronger" every time I get on the bike. So my benchmark has to be only "me" and where my levels are. Put me up against my old times and I am faster. Put me up against riders in the Sport Clyde class and I am "slow". 

Just know this much....on my ride last night I rode at my pace. I was not with the fast group and I was not with the slow group. I was in between. My ride was fast for me, but not fast enough to keep up with the fast group. To the group behind me it probably seemed like I was riding fast. Again, relative.

So what is my point? What is the takeaway? You simply have to be where you are. Fast...slow...it doesn't matter. Ride to your abilities. In my daughters therapy they use a very good motto: 

Everyone is doing the best that they can. Everyone can do better.

Right now, my fast is the best it can be. But I can do better and be faster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment