Pages

Monday, August 17, 2020

It might actually happen....

 This year of 2020 has been all sorts of interesting. First I was stoked to race alongside my friends in multiple races....then I wasn't. Then I was sent home from work for weeks. Then I came back to work. In the past 6 months....life has been good, bad, ugly, messed up, stressful, nuts, along with other things. 


Well this coming weekend is a race that I have scheduled. It is the first year of this race and it is one that I simply want to finish. No glory. No hooplah. Just cross that finish line. It is going to be a 50 plus mile race on the gravel roads of Central Michigan. I am likely (most definitely) looking at a big ole DFL at this race. 

Why a DFL you might ask....you have been riding...right? Well....yes and no. I didn't take full advantage of being home every day for 6 weeks. Instead I allowed myself to slunk into a pile of misery and barely rode. As races were being rescheduled I started to lose my motivation. Eventually it came back but my motivation is way less intense than it was back in January and February when I was over zealously signing up for hundos and 50 plus mile races. 

Then, for no reason at all I didn't touch a bike in 3 weeks. No excuses come to mind, other than my simple lack of motivation. But last week was a good week. Got some decent miles in and feel confident I can finish a 50 miler. Speed wise....eh....I just wanna finish. 


Then Barry Roubaix cancelled. Then Melting Mann. Then Luton. I am sitting here thinking of all of the money I have donated to the cause in 2020. My motivation was on point coming into this year. I was ready to get moving again and start to feel better. Then COVID gave me a straight shot to the face. I didn't get sick, but the depression of being locked down by the government was a lot to take. Add in that I was still in the middle of a custody battle and down the spiral I went. 

But, I actually have a race on Saturday. One that we are confident will happen. It will be smaller, but that isn't the point. I will push the pedals harder knowing that something is on the line. Sure it won't be a podium or a fancy medal. It will simply be the pride of finishing a long race in a very jacked up 2020.

So if you happen to be at the Fast Fitty this weekend, look for me. I will be there trying to make this year feel somewhat normal. If not, just cheer for me on Saturday. Race starts at 10, and I imagine I will be out there a while. So send me a note, drop me a comment, or just send positive vibes that it goes well.


Until then, keep the rubber side down.

No comments:

Post a Comment