Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2021

Lowell 50 Recap

Race number 2 for 2021 was the Lowell Classic Gravel Road Race, formerly known as The Lowell 50. I have done this even a few times, but just the 34 mile course. This year I stepped up to the 50 for training purposes.

The Dirty Donut truck



I planned to arrive earlier to this event to avoid the backup that I saw at Dirty 30. After a short hour drive to Lowell, I arrived at Fallasburg Park just before 8:30. With a race start time of 10am that was a good time to get there. Some people were there already because the Rogue 100 had started at 7am. I found a place to park and walked up to registration. There was no line so I walked right up to the table and got my number plate and swag bag. Then I wandered back to my car and started getting ready.

 

I was trying to figure out how to dress because temps were still in the 40s but it was warming up quick. I opted for a light long sleeve base layer and shorts. I then headed out to warm up. I rolled out and rode around for a few miles to get my legs loosened up. I was listening to the announcer talk about making sure riders are warmed up because your legs will be tested right away. Great, just what I need to start a race. Anyway, it was about time to line up. 

Then it was time to go. There was no rolling start, it was GO right from the gate. The pace was way too much for me. We made the turn out of the park and it was a fury of changing gears and colors. Right away there was a nice downhill; however, the price for that downhill had to be paid right away. Less than a mile away and I was getting dumped from the group already. I just kept going as much as I could as the group was breaking up. I finally crested the hill and saw that the entire group was stretched out. Next up was the nastiest climb on the course. It is by the river and is pretty steep with soft edges. I made it....part of the way up before I had to get off the bike and start walking. I had already planned for this, because this hill is a jerk...and I am not a climber.

Once I got to the top I got back on and started riding again. I was feeling ok, but my speed was slow. At 5 miles in I was barely at a 12mph average. By mile 10 I was up to 12.5 mph. I was right on pace for a 4 hour race. The course felt like it was all hills in the first 10 miles. At 12 miles I made the split onto the 50 mile course and was riding completely alone. At the next crossing there was a police officer. He asked if I was the last person....and honestly I didn't know. I told him I didn't know but it was likely. The hills started to flatten out and my average speed started to climb. At 20 miles I pulled my average speed up over 13mph. I just kept chugging along.

At mile 30....disaster. I was feeling pretty good knowing I only had 20ish miles to go. I saw a county officer marking the next intersection. I waved and went thru, settling back into my pace. A moment later I hear the police horn "wah wah". I moved over and slowed down.....thinking he was just going around. He rolled up next to me and says "I think you missed a turn back there". SHITBALLS! 

Thankfullly he didn't let me get far. I turned around and went back to look at the sign. Sure enough, I missed a turn. I was looking for traffic on the road where the officer was and didn't see the arrows. Dangit, it was marked fine.....I just missed it. So, nerves rattled a bit....I started to settle back into my pace. The miles were peeling away, then the hills started again. Ugh. I had my average pace up over 14 now and I was shooting for a 3:45 pace. 

About 4 miles from the finish I spy a rider ahead of me. It gave me a spark to ride a bit harder because I didn't want to be last. So I dug in and started chasing. I closed the gap and caught her on a climb. I said "we are almost done" and she responded "thats what I keep hearing". I felt like I was pulling away on the descent and then there was another climb. She caught me on the climb and started to pull away. I reached the to of the climb and put my head down to chase. She apparently didn't want to be beat, because she hammered me the last mile. I tried to close her down but just didn't have enough left in the tank. I rolled across the finish line in just over 3 and a half hours.

Overall, my goal was 3:45 and line time was actually 3:33. I once again averaged 14mph in a gravel race. In my preivous races I have never eclipsed 13, let alone covering 14 two races in a row. This race was a lot of fun. Always awesome to see so many people riding hard. Awesome to actually be racing again to be honest.


Some might think that my average speed is slow....well...you are not wrong. I was over an hour behind 1st place. But, I am not racing to be top 10. I am racing for training and for fun. Racing against the clock and pushing myself to be the best I can be. The Coast 2 Coast ride is quickly approaching and I need to keep piling the miles on. And, at 280 pounds....I will take my progress. I still need to lose some weight, but I am getting stronger all the time and will keep on trucking.  See you out there.....


















2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the race recap, Sean. Looks like you are making solid progress toward a successful Coast 2 Coast.

    ReplyDelete