Pages

Monday, May 8, 2023

Weekend recap, and what's to come

I figured I would update on the weekend, and then let you know what I realized. 


Weekend recap

Saturday it was raining all morning. Yes it was light, but still enough that I was being a wuss and didn't go out until evening. I headed to Yankee Springs because I know this is where I will gain the most training. Tough course, lots of climbing...yada yada. When I left home the rain was still falling softly. By the time I got to Yankee it had stopped and the sun was poking through the clouds. The only issue was the sign I saw as I turned into Deep Lake campground. Trail and campground closed for prescribed burn. Ugh, no way did I drive all the way here only to have the trail closed. Well, it was closed....all weekend apparently. So I jumped on the maps and determined Custer to be next closest. Basically, I took the long way to get there. lol.

When I got to Custer I was frankly shocked to see a nearly empty parking lot. I geared up and headed out on the Red. I quickly remembered that its a been a while since I have been out there. And in this direction (T,T,S) I don't know the trail as well. I do know it and can play it backwards, but hitting the hills right is always a bit different. At the end of Amusement park (in this direction) I remembered there was a re-route. I can say with full confidence that I had never ridden it....especially this direction. Kudos to the SWMMBA crew for this change as it makes that section much more enjoyable (at least in this direction). I finished the Red and went out to Green. After that, did a red loop out to granny's garden and kicked back down to green to ride back to the car. It was getting dark because of my late start. Overall, I got just over 20 solid miles and never saw another rider on the trail.

Sunday I hit up a new friend from my town to see if he wanted to ride. I was planning on doing the Dirty Donut 40 mile course. We met up and headed out. I was shocked at how firm the gravel roads were after all the rain we had overnight. Gravel conditions were better than my last ride, but my legs were in worse condition than my last donut ride. The solid ride at Custer on Saturday put some stress in my legs. We ended up cutting off the route just south of Hopkins and heading back towards home. Ended up with just over 25 miles. Pretty solid weekend of riding. Legs are sore enough to prove it too.



So what's next....

Next up is the Fort Custer Stampede on Sunday. I was going to head up to attempt the Bear Claw Epic on Saturday, but its not in the cards this year. With Custer being a course I know well I am happy to go out and ride hard for 15ish miles. Just keep building that fitness leading into LJ100. 

What I realized a few minutes ago is that LJ100 is almost here. Literally less than 6 weeks out and I will be doing the hardest event I have ever done. But I want to share what I have in the weeks leading into this event.

5-14 is Custer Stampede
5-19 nothing on the schedule (but more to come on this)
5-27 Hanson Hills 50
6-3 Dirty Donut (60 miler)
6-10 Cowpie Classic (66 miler)
6-17 THE BIG MF'r Lumberjack 100



Steady build into the hardest races of the year. Should be interesting. Hanson hills will be a great test to see where I am a few weeks out. If I can hold my goal average speed there then I should be 'ok' at LJ100. Lisa and I do plan to head up to Big M sometime next week to get a pre-ride of the LJ100 course into our legs and get a reminder of what we are in for.  Otherwise, its the status quo. Eat less. Eat better. Keep dripping weight. Keep riding with ample rest.

Riding plans are fairly fluid depending on weather, recovery, and life. But my plan is to always use Monday as a rest day. Most of my races are on Saturday's....so Sunday will be recovery rides just to keep the legs moving. The plans for Tuesdays will be a 20-30 road/gravel ride. Then Wednesday I will try to head to Yankee for 2 or 3 laps....leg dependent. Gotta get those climbing legs ready for long hills. Will add another ride on Thursday and rest again on Friday before all my races on Saturdays.....whew.

Keep on keeping on!

No comments:

Post a Comment