Pages

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Fast Fitty Gravel Race Preview

 This is the last event I have on my calendar for 2023. Lets dig in.


Last I checked there was over 450 people registered for this event. It might be a smaller event, but it is one that I have enjoyed. Well, I didn't so much enjoy the first time I did the event....but the last time was much better. 

I don't remember much from the first year....other than it was during Covid and it was really hot. I also remember pulling off the road and sitting in the shade to wait for the SAG vehicle. After sitting there for more than 20 minutes and not being rescued I figured I better get back on and finish. Apparently there were people on the course behind me having worse days than me. 

The next year I came back better prepared. I shaved almost an hour off my time and had my 'redemption' at this event. 

But that was two years ago. I missed last years event for some cookie cutter excuse I am sure. I know I wasn't riding much last year so if I remember correctly I found a lame excuse to get me out of going.

This year has been different. Many more miles and better endurance. However, my fitness trend has been on the decline since June. Took the loss of The Duff harder than I thought. However, my last few rides have been okay....so we will talk goals in a bit.


EVENT:

Fast Fitty

54 miles

2300 ft of climbing

(only 42.6 feet per mile)


Overall this is a fairly flat course. Because it has been 2 years I don't remember if there are any nasty climbs....but its doubtful. With Charlotte being in the middle of the state, its pretty flat down here. I am sure when I get out there I will remember that its not as flat as I think. lol. Hopefully the gravel is good and I can muster up the energy to make it the 50 plus miles. 

This preview is not really a preview. Its just a quick note on what I will be doing Saturday. lol


Goals? Sure....lets talk goals. I need to be realistic about my expectations. Can I push for 50 miles and hold a good average...maybe. Can I be close to my time from 2021....unlikely. I rode that race hard with a belly full of anger. lol. Can I beat my time from 2020....I freaking better. 

Fastest time ever was a 14.5 average. This year I will shoot for a goal of sub 4 hours. I should be able to make it...but with my lack of riding I still need to focus and press for the entire race. I will do my best to find some people to ride with. I tend to ride alone because people don't know how to work together at my speed. Usually the back of the pack riders are used to riding solo. When you ride alone you get into a different mind state and you can check out. In a group, or even a pair, you need to pay attention to what that other rider is doing. And without history it can be nervous to ride with someone. I understand. I know how I ride. I know how my friends ride. I don't know how 400 strangers ride. You could have everything from a 50 year seasoned rider to a person riding their first race. No judgement on my end, I just don't want to ride with an anxious edge for almost 4 hours.


So my goal is sub 4 hours. It would be awesome to reach 3:45. Finishing and surviving is the first goal. Riding fast will be second. 


Weather looks good. See you there!








No comments:

Post a Comment