Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Closing in.

Just over a week ago I flipped the calendar to June and there was LUMBERJACK 100 staring me right in the face. Wow, that meant less than 3 weeks. So, looking at my riding I was a little nervous. I had not ridden the entire week after Memorial day because we were getting ready for Zack's graduation. The weekend after we had dance recital for the girls. I did muster some mileage at Yankee Saturday morning.

Monday night I loaded up the Defy and headed to the 3rd Coast Monday gravel ride. This ride was interesting. There was a guy there that had a very big movement in his pedal stroke. What I mean is that he was bobbing right to left on every pedal stroke. 2 miles in. 3 miles. Trying to lead the group. Red faced. Wasting so much motion. I figure he would blow himself up...but he did hold tough. There were a few sections where I took off just to ride my pace and put a solid test on my legs. Always fun to ride super hard and see where you stand.

West Loop at Ski Area

Wednesday I headed to Cannonsburg again. I started at the Ski area and rode everything that I could. I was looking for hills so I could truly test my legs. I took the newer West Loop that is on the connector between the Ski area and the SGA (state game area).  It is a tough loop for sure...but what I needed. I am learning how the new gearing works. I am glad I swapped to the 22\36 for Lumberjack...I will need that low gearing for those climbs. The West loop goes across the side of one of the hills a few times. Long and drawn out to really stress the legs. Awesome.



After that loop I headed over and did the State Game area trail. Always a fun loop with some interesting areas. I did have one issue...and it has been an unfortunate trend lately. A guy rode up on my and I moved over to let him pass....he zipped past me and never said a word. Headphone in. I just don't get why people can't give a simple "thanks" or "have a good ride" when they pass. I should have just rode my pace and held him up. I honestly hope that I ruined his strava segment. lol. On the connector back to the Ski area I hit the West Loop again. Legs cooperated for the most part. With the 22 tooth ring I actually had a few gears to go. That makes me happy.


Now....Lumberjack is 9 days away. I plan on one more long ride hopefully this weekend and then I am just going to take it easy next week. Jay and I are headed up Friday morning to scope out the area. We are going to do some sort of ride, just to open up the legs. Lumberjack 100. 100 miles on a mountain bike in the trees of the Manistee National Forest. I am ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment