Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Golden Egg......and Sweat Shaker

I am not really a happy camper right now. The day started good enough. Up on time to leave for Sweat Shaker. Arrived and swapped over the bike rack to Jay's car. Lisa, Jay and I took off from Meijer at 5:30 am. Right on schedule. Then.....

I hear Jay say "oh shit" and I look to my left....
....a male deer....full stride.....running towards us....
.....slow motion.....
.....head of the deer into the mirror and then the driver window...
....body into the rear door....
....deer into the 3 bikes...
....Jay..."bikes......bikes....bikes...."
...quiet....

Jay pulls over quickly on US-10.  We are only 1.5 miles away from US127. Less than 15 minutes from our destination. Carnage. Here is the rundown.

Equinox:
mirror gone
driver window splintered but no glass falling out
rear driver side door smashed in....will not open

Bikes:
Rack torqued to the right.
1 arm completely ripped off
1 bike...front tire taco.
1 bike with a hole punched in the fork
1 bike with a bent rear triangle, broken rim, and possible bent frame.



Did I mention nobody was hurt? Yeah...there is that positive note.  We pick up the pieces and drive the rest of the way to Mid Michigan Community College. We get to work getting 2 bikes functioning. One was fairly easy. Taped up the hole in the fork. Done. The second...well...we pulled the wheel and did some restructuring. The bike shop guys that were there did some work and got the wheel....to where it would spin. The debate was on whether the wheel would hold for 20 miles or not. 

Race started....Jay and Lisa were off and I was left standing on the sidelines. Jay finished a respectable 7th with his wobbly ass wheel. Lisa finished an awesome 2nd. I yelled. I cheered.

So now....I wait to hear about the bike. But the title you say..."why the golden egg?". Well....I was thinking that my season will take a definitive change. I missed out on an opportunity to have a high finish today. Not knowing how long it will take to either get the bike fixed or replaced....I could miss another race....or the rest of the season. It is just up in the air right now. So I was happy to say that I finished Lumberjack last weekend. This race was truly my golden egg for this season. So if nothing else....I got my golden egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment