Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Frozen Custer

I had a team meeting today so we arranged a pre-meeting ride. I loaded up Albert because I knew the Fort would be rock solid. Indeed it was, with temps in the teens as we started.

Jay, Byrne, and Lisa were there. New teammate Rafael was there along with Lisa's brother Brian. We took off down the red loop to ground that was frozen...but this is where I had some disappointment. I was disapponted by the number of ruts I was seeing. Not just ruts, but ruts that were frozen into the trail, making a very rough surface. So, I need to say this....

STAY OFF THE FUCKING TRAIL WHEN YOU SINK.

Ok, back to the ride. The pace was quick...as expected. I got dumped right away, which isn't much of a surprise. So I just rode my pace and eventually roped in Rafael. I had to stop and do a minor brake adjustment because it was driving me crazy squeaking. Once fixed I was back at it. I was riding an ok pace, but I was really not using my brakes much. I was riding a pace that I was comfortable with in the descents and with the corners, only having to shave speed once in a while. 

The reason? Panaracer Fat B Nimbles. I bought those tires for snow riding, but I found where they excel. Gravel and hard packed frozen dirt. I was able to just throw the bike into the corners and feel confident that I was getting traction. I would say this was by far the most confident I have been on the fat bike...on a trail....since I bought it 2 years ago. 

Overall, it was a good ride...about 8 miles. Way better than the basement!

N+1 is at the bike shop, just need some funds.

Keep moving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment