Pages

Monday, March 5, 2018

Out and About

Dug The D.U.F.F. out of the garage and dusted her off. New chain, tune, and she was ready to roll. Got up Saturday and headed to Yankee Springs to meet Matt, Mike and Nate for some dry singletrack. Yes, dry....singletrack....the first weekend of March. When I pulled in the parking lot was packed. Not unexpected this time of year. We geared up and headed out.


Saturday is the direction that I don't like at Yankee. Maybe it is because I don't it good enough backwards, or maybe....it is because there is a huge HUGE climb in the middle that I dread the entire time until I am at the top of the hill. But, for training purposes I need to ride this direction to get a better feel for the course. The Yankee TT is on a Saturday this year, so....trying to learn.

We started off. The first rock garden was approaching and I sped up, attacked it...and cleared it. NICE. I was actually feeling pretty good. The trail was in amazing shape. No mud, dry, no sand. Just...Solid Yankee. The worst part....Yankee never lets up. Seems like short recovery and then a climb. Short recovery....climb. Eventually we made it to the switchback climb and I watched as the other guys rode away. Mike waited for me as I slogged up the hill. Then the next section. Ugh, the damn climb feels like it goes forever. Much better going the other direction!

We hit the top and took the awesome descent down to the pines. I love it back there, so quiet. I had a slight hangup and had to put a foot down. Pulled, and I hear a twing....which was the last hurrah for my right pedal. 4 Miles to go, on a flat pedal. ugh. Still, I was able to find a sweet spot and hold my cleat there for the most part, but climbing was a challenge. Apparently I do actually follow thru and pull on my pedal stroke.

I plodded along and finally go the guard rail descent. Fast down the ditch and I let Mike by so he could chase down the other guys. Rode solo the last 2 miles back and just enjoyed being out in the woods on a crisp morning. Felt good to be out on the mountain bike. Do I have work to do? Well, yes...but we already knew that.



Sunday I headed to Hastings for a Barry Roubaix training ride. Not wanting to add any more dirt to The D.U.F.F. I pulled Albert out of the garage. Yes, a 38 pound fat bike for a gravel ride. Sweet. Temps were about the same as the day before, but the wind was up adding a chill to the air.


Photo Courtesy of Matt Fluery via Facebook

Today I was met by a handful of teammates. Mike was there too...but he flew off the front with his buddy Nate and we never saw them again. Because we left from Hastings the 3 sisters were waiting patiently a few miles in. First sister, not too bad. Second sister, not terrible. Third sister, cleared it! I haven't made that damn climb in a few seasons so I was stoked to start the ride with a victory!

Roads were in great shape and we cruised around Barry County. Matt, David, and Dillon would put some distance on Brian and I, but we were regrouping at the top of the long climbs. After the sisters we continued to where the 22 mile course takes a left. Having never ridden the short course I didn't know what I was in for. Surprise....huge F'ing hill. Steep too. So I put my head down and spun up the hill...very slowly. We regrouped and continued on.

I knew "the wall" was coming up, but I wasn't sure where we were. Finally we hit the intersection I wasn't looking forward to and "the wall" started to creep up on us. The hill is simply intimidating. Steep. Instead of giving up, I just dropped to my low gear and spun away. Brian and I reached the top and enjoyed the downhill that followed. So, second small victory. I cleared the 3 sisters and the wall. Not sure when the last time was I cleared both in a single ride. SWEET.

Eventually we hit the home stretch. Dillon was starting to drop back some and I was still feeling pretty good. David and Matt went off the front and I eventually put some distance on Brian and Dillon. (I say some distance...because it wasn't very much). I had a solid finish and a great ride. When I think about it....it was a great weekend in Southwest Michigan to be a cyclist.

First race in less than 5 weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment