Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2021

Trails at Andrews University

 Seemingly in the middle of nowhere is a small school by the name of Andrews University. Just off US31 in Berrien Springs is what I will refer to as my nemesis. I used to look at Yankee Springs this way, but since I have started working closer to the border this little gem has become my main course.

That being said....I have only ridden there twice since I started my new job. The last time I rode here was about 5 years ago and my buddy Kevin took a hard digger...breaking his collar bone and nine ribs. I did head there a few weeks ago...and it was actually worse than I remember....and that is what prompted this post.

I went there last night and skipped the group ride. The main reason I skipped the group is because I know I am super slow out there. I left work and made the short trip over. There was only 2 cars in the parking lot. I geared up and headed out.

Within the first 50 yards you know this trail is different. It twists uphill a bit with a bundle of roots. Then there is a short right hander with a very big root and a drop. I feel like you get thrown right to the wolves. And the warm up is pretty much zero. My heart rate was already sky high...and I was less than half a mile in. 

This trail...in a nutshell....is a power climber course. You have to be a climber. But you have to be a good technical climber with lots of power too. These are not hard climbs...not steep....not crazy long. But they offer a combination of tough climbs made tougher by the relentless amount of roots. There are multiple lines to choose from but none are super easy. They all offer their own interesting options.

On this ride, I had to get off and walk. I had already planned on it. But instead of feeling defeated by my lack of climbing prowess....I took the time to investigate the lines. Trying to make notes for my next rides. My ride was not a victory lap. It was a learning curve. I know after riding here that this trail will only make me a stronger rider. It is not a beginner trail at all. It throws hard punches. Then a few jabs...then some more punches. But it is always right in your face.....showing you who the boss is. 

I will be back. I will be a little faster. I will make a few more climbs. I will learn the trail. I will be a stronger rider...  

No comments:

Post a Comment