Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2021

A note on "Form"

 My mileage has dipped in June. A few factors...ok excuses...are to blame. But that isn't what this post is about. This post is about something I noticed on my trainer ride the other night when it was down pouring.


FORM

First off, I am not an expert in anything. I have a lot of knowledge in many different aspects and a certain skill level in many different categories. So before you take what I am saying as knowledge, just understand that it is more of an observation on my part.

On my ride last week I noticed that my shoulders were rocking more than normal. I don't mean when climbing a hill or sprinting. I am talking about normal riding on a flat road. Not even riding hard, just a normal pace. 

I do understand some riders have more upper body motion than others. I think of Allesandra Keller as one that uses her whole upper body while climbing. Kate Courtney is another. When they are riding hard they are using their full upper body. I am no different. When I am riding hard or climbing I do the same thing. Very natural.

However, I normally have what I call a quiet upper body when riding. I noticed this many years ago. I was on the trainer and had a buddy riding his trainer next to me. I was static...he was swaying front to back like he was in a rocking chair. lol. It just seemed like he was using a lot more energy to spin than I was. 

Anyway, a month ago I had a lot less upper body movement than I did on this recent ride. What does it mean? well, to me it means I have lost some fitness. It make sense because of my dip in mileage. So it was something that I noticed. Doesn't really mean anything. Just felt like sharing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment