Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Holland 100 recap

 This event was my first ever century many years ago. It was also the event that I was on in 2018 when I had the realization that my marriage was over. So, there has been some significant happenings here. This year was fairly uneventful. Thankfully.

I was up early and my phone was dinging left and right with people asking about the weather. It was raining south of me, but was dry here in town. I ate my breakfast and rolled up to Zeeland. I rolled in around 6:30 and there was not many people there yet. Found a place to park and headed to registration. I picked up my bracelet and headed back to gear up. The bracelet was to identify those registered, for the food at the aid stations.

Everyone else rolled in shortly thereafter and we were approaching 7am. Poor JW had a tire blow and couldn't get her CO2 cartridges to work. I found her and we got her back in business. We met up with Jay and a few others then headed out. There was a group of 8 of us.

Within a mile or two I was riding with Jay and a few others but the rest of my team was gone. They were doing a casual warmup. lol. I was taking advantage of the draft at 20 miles an hour. The first part is pretty flat, so we cooked it to the first aid station. The rest of my friends caught us and we headed out again.

This is where the rollers start. I was holding on for the most part, and the group was working together doing pulls rotating back in. Was a good time. But then.....a big hill. The group was gone. lol. Again, I watched them all ride away and become ants in the distance. No reason for me to kill myself, I have 75 miles to go. They waited at the intersections for me, which was nice. I was actually not showing that apprecation in the moment because I felt bad they were waiting for me. 

But, we regrouped and went off again. Then a hill and I would be alone. The entire course is littered with riders. Fast people, slow people, young people and old people. We finally arrived at the pancake breakfast around 56 miles in. Because I am working with a coach I avoided the pancakes. It was find. I wasn't feeling the best....but it was from the saddle pressure. Like....rIiding on a credit card feeling. You know, I won't elaborate. lol. I sat and stretched for a few while everyone ate. Then I headed out knowing they would all catch me eventually.

Shockingly, i held off the group for 8 or 9 miles before they finally reeled me in. It was Jay and a few others that zipped by with words of encouragement. I just plodded along, but I was hurting. Then I heard JK. Her and D were with another dude and were flying. J was like...Sean...JUMP ON....and I did....for as long as I could. We were crusing at 20-21 and I was thankful for the draft. But eventually, the pressure on my saddle was too much and I had to back off. 

I rolled into the Fenn Valley aid station blown up. Physically I felt fine...but I knew I couldn't sit on that seat any more. So I texted my daughter while watching everyone refuel and get ready to go for the last 25. My daughter answered that she could save me....and my day was over. I gave everyone fist bumps or hugs and they were on their way. I waited for a bit and my daughter got there. I threw the bike in the back and she took me back to my car. Second, if I had to get back on that bike I literally felt like I might do damage to my body. I figured it "taint" worth it.....if you follow.

I got back and after a while everyone else rolled in. It was a very good and demanding day on the bike for me...and for everyone else. I gave big kudos to everyone for finishing that event. While there isn't relatively a ton of climbing for 100 miles, it just isn't an easy feat to ride that far. I got home...showered....and crashed. 

 If you ever want to do a century and have never done one before I highly recommend the Holland 100 for a few reasons. First, the aid stations are not super spread out. You get a ton of support and the food options were excellent. Second, it is fairly flat all things considered. Lastly, most of the riders are super friendly. There is always funny conversation, encouragement, and laughter.


Next up....could be Ore 2 Shore. Hard to say right now if this will happen or not. I have some planning to do. But I also might add another century this year....because I have to get that hundo under my belt in 2021. Keep on riding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment