Pages

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Rode (road) along the Ocean

 Last week for Spring Break we headed down to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Since we were driving I loaded up my road bike to get some riding in warmer weather. I brought my gopro, but made the mistake of leaving the memory card at home, so no videos. 


I did a bit of research before we headed down. In hindsight I wish I had brought my fatty too so I could have done some beach riding. I also could have ridden the small trails they have in the area. Instead, I knew there were bike lanes and plenty of wider paved trails around the area. 


I headed out on a few rides and utilized the bike lanes. Everyone gave me plenty of space. Honestly the only issue I had was people walking in the bike lane. Note I said walking, not exercising. People would just wander into the street oblivious to their surroundings. Tourists...lol. Overall, not a bad experience.


One ride I headed inland and didn't really like that too much. Bike lanes would end and I was caught riding on road that were busier than I prefer. But it sure felt good to get out and ride in the sun. First ride was a success.

Second ride I headed up the coast. Used the bike lane until it ended. Rode all the way to North Myrtle beach. Just felt good to be along the water in the sun. I left pretty early knowing that the 'tourists' would be burying the downtown area pretty early. Also didn't want to ride in the warmest part of the day. Michigan winter skin versus Ocean Sun....you know. lol. 


Overall a few good rides while on vacation. Next time I will bring the fat bike and just ride the beach. Would be a better experience. I snagged a few pics on my rides. Take a look!




These pics below look like fall, but I promise they are from March. Such a different climate down here. 




This one was an oddity. I ran into this situation twice down there. I was riding on a road with a marked bike lane when all of a sudden it was an on-ramp to a 4 lane highway. No warning other than the yield sign. This was the point I turned around and headed back to the condo. 




On my first ride I was riding a paved trail. It ended and turned into what you see below. I saw where the clearing ended and just kept going for a bit. The trail never hit another road. It dumped me inside a gated community thru the back door. lol. I managed to get out, but was confused as to why the trail simply ended the way it did.





This was a waterway I crossed on that first ride as well. The bridge was a rotating style draw bridge. I rode across and then decided to turn back as the road narrowed. When I came back across I saw the bridge operator coming down to see where I went. He waved and kind of pointed that a boat was coming, which I missed. I heard the siren go off a minute after I was off the bridge and it opened. I missed a photo though. 





Unlike the West coast of Michigan, the image below is the East Coast of the United States. I do prefer the sunsets over the sunrises....but the water is always calming.











No comments:

Post a Comment