Pages

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Yankee Springs TT on the Horizon

The Yankee Springs Time Trial is coming in just over a week. I figured I better get out there and see what has changed on the course.

Short answer, not much. I didn't realize that is has been over 3 years since I had ridden out there. Seems fairly odd to me actually. But when I look at my riding over the last few years it makes more sense. The covid drama was added in there and I was working south so Yankee just wasn't in the cards.

Plus, Yankee is a hard trail for me. Not really in a technical aspect, simply the climbing. I have said before that I am not a climber and Yankee has a lot of hills. While I love the descents, they are earned out there. 


Over the past few days I have cleaned up The DUFF and got it ready to ride. The last time it was outside was August....how is that even possible. ugh. Anyway, I had it ready to go and loaded up last night to head to Yankee. As expected in the weeks leading up to the Time Trial, the lot had a lot of cars. I geared up and headed out.

Right away, I remember why I love this trail. Well...love...hate....

The first drop in is quick and gives you an idea of what this trail is all about. Rocks, roots, and sand. Another ride passed me at the top of the first little climb. A preview of how race day will go. ;)

The trail was in great shape. Sand as usual in the normal places. I had the delusion in my head that I was going to make it around a full lap without having to stop. That ended on a climb less than 2 miles in. Caught a root, put a foot down. I realized how out of practice I was on the mountain bike. Just haven't been riding a lot the last few years, and when I do its mainly gravel. So this was going to be a good test.

I forged ahead and made it to what I feel is the first major climb. The one where the concrete Washington monument marker is. I had to walk. Just not feeling like I had the power. Remember, I am still a heavy rider...and my lack of mtb riding was showing.

A few riders passed over my journey. I was just riding my pace and enjoying being in the woods. I have missed it out there, and I will be riding more because my A race this year is all mountain bike. I got back to the trailhead and went right into the warmup loop. So I wasn't so gassed that I wanted to quit. I just kept going for another couple of miles. 

Overall a good ride. Great to be back out there. Was a bit faster than I had planned, so that was a bonus. I won't be competitive at the TT, because I am pretty far away from the 'clyde' minimum weight. But it will still be fun.

Will probably head back Friday and Sunday for another lap...keep getting my body ready for this style of riding. See you out there. 




No comments:

Post a Comment