Pages

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Its all about the climb.....

If you read my last post, Thank you. If you commented, Thank you again. If you didn't, no worries. 

I simply gave a glimpse into how I think. We all have our struggles and sometimes they hit differently on different day or different situations. Prime example was on a holiday morning last year. We had music playing and a song I love called 'Let it go' by James Bay came across Pandora. (You can give a listen below if you like). The song struck me during my separation and divorce back in 2018/2019. Last year when the song played I broke down. For some reason after 4 years it hit me a little differently. The lyrics talk about things turning bad, why are we fighting for this, and eventually letting go. 

Let it go.....just let it be.....why don't you be you...and I'll be me....


I posted what I posted yesterday because I believe mental health is important for everyone. Its ok to have those days where you just don't feel like it. We all have our doubts. The important thing is to keep moving forward and not get hung up in those areas. I didn't set out to do that long post, but I just kept going and eventually had some realizations. These realizations will help me move past how I was feeling yesterday and not get stuck in that rut....where I am defeating myself before I even get started.




I won't get into the phycology of it all....just know its important. 





So that leads me to another song. Its "The climb" by Miley Cyrus. I remember heading to races with the whole fam singing this at the top of our lungs. lol. Good times. Beyond the car karaoke the song does have good meaning....and it was before Miley came in like a wrecking ball. 


 

The lyrics here have good meaning too. She touches on facing struggles and not breaking. Its not about the destination....its about the climb. This song has always been good. Just keep moving on. Don't break. You can do it!






Just wanted everyone to know that I am down, but not out. That race Saturday was brutal. I know I wasn't the only one that struggled. I did struggle...and I finished. I don't know exact numbers...but I imagine it was a hefty number of people that just gave up. I have given up before. Barry Roubaix I was a train wreck. But I moved past that and had some better results. The Donut wasn't an awful result...it was a finish....and mental test. That is why I am doing all of these events leading into the single 'A' race I am doing this season. So while I know I struggled and that yesterday was a down day mentally, I am doing much better today. If I let myself stay where I was yesterday and I just let it fester I would already be defeating myself. 

Do I have nerves? Of course. Do I have some doubts about 100 miles? Yes. Am I going to try anyway? Damn straight. 

When I signed up for LJ100 I knew it was a stretch. As the money left my account my mind wandered to whether it was actually a good idea. HAHA. I had a couple of friends beat around the bush a bit and say it wasn't the best idea. But my philosophy has been "go big or stay home" when I am signing up for these events. Dirty 30.....50 miles. Barry...62. Donut...60. Hanson Hills 50...perfect. CowPie Classic...63. The reason I signed up for all of these has been specifically for training for LJ100. I am learning more every time...no matter what. 

So what have I learned? 

Dirty 30

I learned to be better prepared. I rode the entire race with no nutrition.....50 miles. Whoops. 


Barry Roubaix

I took a mental hit at this event. I allowed my mental state to shut down my body instead of having my brain make my body keep going. Tough, but still a learning opportunity.


Yankee Springs Time Trial

Here I learned to push push push. But the people passing was a frustration that started to get to me some. 


Fort Custer Stampede

This was my most complete race. Mentally prepared....rode strong the whole thing. Home course knowledge helped. Win.


Hanson Hills 50

I had a major victory by making the cutoff time. I also crushed my goal time by 20 minutes. Nutrition was solid. Bike had an issue....and that wore on me mentally....but overall it was a good race.


Dirty Donut

Finished with 60 miles. Nutrition was less than stellar and it showed. I don't function well in heat. Mentally was kind of a mixed bag. Watching the peloton ride away was disheartening, but pushing as much as I could all the way to the end was a good side of the mental battle. 


CowPie Classic

We will see what I will learn here. Still waffling on the distance here. Being a week before LJ100 I don't really need to ride long distance. But, I do want to test nutrition again. More on this race later this week. 


Lumberjack 100

I find out if it all comes together....






Its all about the climb.....


No comments:

Post a Comment