Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Lumberjack 100 preview

 It really seems like this race got here too fast....


Fast....ha....extremely relative term.


For me, the LJ100 isn't about fast. Its about finishing. So there is a semblance of speed in that statement. With a cutoff time I have to be "fast enough" to make the cutoff time. But once that is reached....finishing is key. 


Lets take a look at the course. Not once, not twice, but 3 times around this track designed by Matt Acker. There is a solid mix of mainly singletrack with a few fire roads and some normal roads mixed in. What is not shown is the Start. We will start at Big M and ride a couple of miles out before looping into the woods and arriving back at the start of the lap below. I will have to make it around this lap twice in under 8 hours and 15 minutes to make the cutoff time. Yes, there will be a ton of people finished and on their way home by then. That doesn't matter....its my goal. 


Here are some of the segments on this course. 


I remember parts of the course from when I rode it in 2015. I know the climb out of the finish/lap area is brutal. It will be about surviving that climb. I know there are many others that will be tough. I also know this route is a bit different than 2015. The Fire tower section is different. There was a super nasty nearly vertical climb out of there that I only recall a few people ever riding. Most had to get off and walk...just like me. ;)

My guess is that this will be similar to the Hanson Hills 50 conditions....hopefully a bit less sand. Terrain wise....foliage wise....its close. I recorded over 82 feet of climbing per mile at Hanson. According to the info above the Lumberjack course will be about 73 1/2 feet per mile. So....less? No....but per mile its less. Sure the LJ100 is 2x as long, but here is why I bring this up.

I raced Hanson specifically to test for LJ100. What I learned is that I was solid for 25 miles. But I paid the price for starting and riding so hard....and my second lap suffered. It was a good simulation of what I would be dealing with on Saturday. Hills. I know what I am in for....a long awesome day on the bike. 

Does less climbing per mile mean I will be faster than I was at HH50? Unlikely. Its just a number. But it gives you an idea of how difficult this race will be. As with all the other events I have been watching videos to get an idea again of the course. With 30 plus miles...I won't remember it...but it might give me an idea of where I am on the course. I also have the course downloaded so I can get an accurate location. My computer showing my mileage will be a big enough indicator that I really won't need the course. I just need to focus on riding steady.


Steady efforts. That is what this race will be for me. Not jumping off the line and riding 20 plus mph on the pavement just to be with people. LP is coming and I haven't really talked to her about her strategy yet, but we will do that Thursday and Friday. I know for me the story of the Tortoise and the hare. In this story the Hare will finish long before me, but the slow and steady approach will get me to the finish line for my own accomplishment. 


I just had the thought that some readers might not know what the Lumberjack 100 is. Well, if you click here you can check it out. It is a full fledged 100 mile mount bike race in the woods of Big M recreation area in Udell Hills just outside of Manistee, MI. In 2015 it took me just over 12 hours to finish. The winners were much much faster. I have close friends that were in that 10 hour range. Strong riders. Its just a different type of event. Some of the beasts will crush it. Some will drop out. Some, like me, will be ecstatic with a finish. Its the journey that will define us.

So....now what. Well, I have a few goals. Lets dig in.

  1. Make the cutoff time. This one has to happen for the rest to happen. I know I have plenty of time and I know I can do it...now I have to execute. 
  2. Finish. When I make the cutoff all I have to do is keep going. The finish line won't go anywhere. So tick that first box and this box will take care of itself.
  3. Sub 12 hours. This one is where the grey area starts. Not a hard goal, but I would love to be faster than I was in 2015. I was way on pace to do this at the HH50. However, I was tanking and cannot do that at this event. I plan to temper my first lap so I can finish strong...similar to how I rode the Cow Pie last week. 
  4. Don't be last. Even if I am that will be ok....but I really don't want to be last. DFL>DNF....but man are these 2 close for me.
  5. Don't tank mentally. After I make the cutoff time I will have 32 miles to have my brain fight me. I will focus on positive and little course goals to keep my motivation going. 


So there it is. The work is done. Now its time to put it all together and get a finish. It will be a birthday present to myself....as Saturday is my 47th birthday. If anyone is there, say HI. Hope to see some old friends and some new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment