Pages

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Back in the saddle

Just when I was ready to get back at it....sickness kicked in the front door. Thankfully I was only down a few days....but a few days here and a few days there are starting to turn into weeks that I am off the bike.

That changed last week. 


I was able to get some miles in on Zwift and even get outside with Tom for a solid gravel ride. So after a good ride to start February, then a few weeks off....I am finally back in the saddle again.


Zwift rides are what they are....and I will use them when I need to. It is February after all, so the temps here is SW Michigan are swinging like Austin Powers. We go from 2" of snow to 60's, back into the low 30's and today temps will touch 70. In February. lol.


The ride I did outside last week temps were in the 50's. Awesome. Tom and I headed out and got some solid base miles before he headed West for his training block. For not being on the bike in a few weeks, and a soft January, I was actually surprised at how good I felt. Problem is....that feeling only lasted about an hour. That is where my issue is starting. I have stamina for an hour, because that is how I have been training on Zwift. Its great, but I need longevity. And a scattered training plan with weeks off the bike don't help. Still....no unhappy with our ride. 

Last night I couldn't pass up the another 60 degree day. I left from home for a mixed bag of a ride. Legs felt good, just had some timing issues. Had to ride out and back to check on dinner. After that check I rolled around again to get about an hour of riding. I did push harder knowing that I was on limited time. Kind of funny how a flat ride can still feel hard. 

Tonight I am heading out again. Hope to get to 20 plus miles in and enjoy the weather before it tanks again on Wednesday. lol. Michigan. But its really ok. I am set up to keep my legs moving. With a cold day tomorrow I will just head to the trainer. Just have to keep going no matter what. 


This weekend we should have temps in the 60's again. Planning on some gravel base miles and then breaking the new bike in at Yankee. Training has truly begun.


I have felt my mindset shift. Things are coming into focus. Maybe its having a mountain bike again. Maybe its that LJ100 is less than 4 months out. Maybe the weather. Mental toughness is one of my biggest struggles. I waver. I let things creep in and chip away at the foundation until it cracks. I build it back up, but other things sneak back in to fill the remaining voids. Right now, today...as I type this....I feel pretty good. A solid week of riding always helps that. Its silly really. The key to being successful is riding my bike. I gain fitness, burn off stress, and get healthier every time I ride. And I simply turned my back on the bikes. Why? Lack of discipline maybe. But the main reason is I just let the stressors of life add up...and I didn't turn to the key to unlock the chains and release the stress. Last week I did. This week I am. I just need to remember to stay the course. Keep riding even when I just want to hide in a blanket fort. 

Last week was a good example of that. Long day at work had me worn out. I sat on the couch and was just ready to check out. Instead I drug my ass off the couch and headed to the trainer. It was the best decision I could have made....and the effects are still helping. I know I will have bad days. Setbacks. Life will happen. All I need to do is....


KEEP MOVING FORWARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment