Pages

Thursday, February 8, 2024

Koko Crater climb

 When I learned that we (Christine and I) were heading to Hawaii I started poking around for things to do. Dolphins, turtles, luau, Pearl Harbor, yeah yeah.....all those main stream things. I wanted to know about the other stuff...hikes to water falls, mountain biking, lava flows, and blow holes. My initial search for Oahu adventure brought me very close to our hotel in Honolulu. The Diamond Head Crater is a prominent feature on the Southern coast of Oahu. Then I stumbled across the Koko Head Crater and started to look deeper. I didn't really know the journey I would go on.


First, some other highlights from the trip. We did visit Pearl Harbor. I cannot describe the feeling of being in the exact spot where Japan launched an incredible attack that drew the United States into World War II. Mixed emotions between "this happened in the 1940's" to "so many people died" to "it had to be unreal here, in this exact spot....with planes, bombs, explosions and death....where today it is so quiet and peaceful". 

We took a short trip to Halona blow hole on the southeastern coast. Beautiful views and blue waters with some sea turtles were on tap here. But we had to head back for a dolphin encounter. Christine had never swam with them, so I booked a special one for her. With her distracted by the porpoises I had a plan to pop the question. Kolohe (our dolphin) delivered a pelican box with the ring and she said YES. So that was a fun day!



But the Koko Crater loomed. We had driven past this feature on the way to Halona and back. Seeing it in person I started to have doubts. These are the pics I took on our way past the crater. Big imposing hill. No real understanding of what I was in for.





When the morning arrived I ate some breakfast out on the balcony and mentally prepared. I called an Uber and made a very quiet trip to the trailhead. The driver was not interested in chatting. lol. When I got delivered I took the picture below. Nerves added to the "what the hell am I thinking" started swirling around my brain.


Then it was time to start. Kicked on some music and started the trek.


The first few steps make you figure out your approach. The spacing made it interesting. Longer legged people can take one step at a time, while everyone else has to take a step up and then a step forward before stepping up again. 


I found a spot here to stop and slow my heart rate down. I was feeling ok, but my HR had spiked into the 160s. In general, that doesn't happen when I am racing my bike full tilt. So a quick pit stop was in order.




Diamond Head Crater in the distance. 



Never Surrender.....EVER.


Getting to the top was half the battle....but the views were totally worth it. 

Back side of the crater.




At the top....you have time to take in the views and catch your breath. Then you look down this and know the battle isn't done. Getting down unscathed was just as rough as getting to the top.



The need for a crab walk was definitely necessary. Running low on gas and having a high HR, it was a better option sometimes. Just to give my legs a little break. Arms took some of the weight so I could keep going! 


I was surprised to see a cactus....




This sign! 


So many people were out. Much like cycling, you could see the varying levels of fitness and drive behind people. One guy was seemingly on his 3rd trip down the crater....while others were taking the 10 steps at a time approach. They would take 10 steps and stop to rest. Repeat. Repeat. I was on the 30 to 40 steps at a time approach as I got closer to the top. I do a similar thing when climbing on the bike. I count down how many pedal strokes I think I will hit until I reach the summit. Keeps my mind from focusing on the pain brewing in the legs. 








The markers were counting down to the top. Started at 25 I believe. At this point, I was thinking 'whew, only 5 to go'


Diamond Head crater. I was planning to get up there too, but legs were torched after this climb. The taller buildings to the right of the image is where our hotel was. Amazing that its under 10 miles from crater to crater....but took nearly 25 minutes to Uber between them. 





Even when I got to the 'top' there was another segment to get to the 'tippy-top'. I reached what I thought was the summit only to find another segment. I rested for a minute and then pushed up this short stretch to the top. The additional steps were worth it as the views were unimpeded at the very top.





There is a segment of the trail where the land falls away a bit. You can see thru the railroad ties and it does throw you off a bit....but not super high. Just another twist to the climb.



























A much needed rest. Letting the legs rest while taking in some views and letting the mind relax.




Stopping to take a breather.




It feels never ending at the beginning.....


Steep is a good word to use here.

Overall this was an interesting day. It was surely a mark off the bucket list type of event. I knew I would reach the top, even though I doubted myself at times. I just kept pushing onward and upward until I got there. Maybe not as major of an achievement for some, but for me it was a very rewarding trip. I am happy to say that I did it. I did however pay the price. My legs were wrecked for about 4 days afterwards. Worth it. If you find yourself on Oahu, head on over and check this out. There is a lot to see, but this adventure gives you a different experience. You get the accomplishment of climbing an iconic crater and you get rewarded with amazing views.


It was kind of hard to put the experience into words. Its something you have to do yourself to understand. I am happy that I was able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment