Pages

Monday, February 12, 2024

Time to move....

 I didn't touch a bike over the weekend. After a solid ride with Lisa the previous weekend I once again didn't have an ounce of motivation. Was a crazy long week at work and still fighting stupid elbow pain. 

Right now we are about 4 months out from LJ100. I am signed up. I have an AirBnb booked. Those boxes are checked....but there are 2 big boxes left.

1. I don't even have a mountain bike yet. Yes I have some options but this keeps weighing on my brain. I don't really want to try to ride 100 miles on a borrowed bike that I have limited saddle time with. So borrowing a bike is a 'last resort' option. I do Albert. The properly named fat bike that I own. But the thought of riding that tank for 100 miles with a full rigid setup just makes me shudder. My arm started throbbing just thinking about that. So that is an option that falls just before the last resort. While both of these are plausible solutions, they are not the option I want to choose. 

What I am actually going to do is order a bike......Thursday. I have been crunching numbers and developing a plan of attack. That plan will go into affect Thursday. I should have my hands on a new ride by the end of the month.

But what bike did I decide on?

Will it be a Specialized World Cup...

Could it be a Scott Spark....

Maybe a Cannondale Scapel.

What about a Canyon LUX....

oh man....Obrea Oiz...

Specialized Epic Evo.....

Trex Fuel EX....

this list is never ending.....

However, I have some limiting factors. Available funds and inventory are the driving factors right now. I missed an awesome sale a few weeks ago from one company. I have researched and finally narrowed it down to a few options. Once I was there the funding created another set of limiting factors. But, when it gets here I will let you know what I get....because I am ordering on Thursday....that is for sure!


2. Motivation (or lack thereof)

I have used every form of distraction, excuses, and lies to keep myself off the bike. I will work through a few of those here to try to explain to myself why I am where I am. Here goes....

Work stress. Yes, work has been chaotic but that isn't really anything new. There are other wrenches thrown into that stress bubble right now. The company I work for was purchased by a conglomerate last year. As usual in any type of takeover or integration you will find the growing pains ever increasing. We are right in the thick of that. Added on top of a massive project. Stress is high. 

Family stress. Again, not really anything new. And this one isn't really what I think it is. I know my trip last month and the inevitable event of proposing was weighing on me a bit. Nervous stress is a better description for that. I wasn't stressed about asking, I was nervous and excited about it. However, a distraction none the less. That trip was amazing and exactly what I needed to start off 2024. But I used planning and preparing as an excuse to avoid the bike. When I got back, I used the "catching up with work" along with other excuses to not ride

Weather....ROFL. no way...it was 60 degrees and I still didnt touch a bike. dumb.

Lisa and I did get out for a ride the weekend before last. but now we are in the middle of February and the reasons to not ride just are not going to fly anymore. The time is now to get off my ass and get moving. 4 months to pile in miles and drop some weight. 4 months go get acquainted with a new bike. 4 months to get my elbow healed enough to hold onto the handlebars for 10 plus hours. 

4 months....

...that will pass in the blink of an eye.


Lets get moving.



No comments:

Post a Comment