Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The quiet before the storm

The internet has been all aflutter with topics like "Barry Roubaix" and "race season". You would think that the first race of the season is this weekend or something. Wait....it is this weekend? Oh, that is what I have been training for....in the snow....and on that damn stationary trainer. Time to see if the training has paid off.

Before I get into the BR pre-race coverage...I need to talk about my ride Sunday. The weather was beautiful. Way too beautiful for March, but I will never complain about mid 70's and sunny when we could potentially still have snow on the ground. I had ridden Barry Roubaix on Saturday so I was looking for a nice easy pace on flat ground. Dan has some broken ribs and was wanting to ride so I figured a ride with me would be just the "easy" pace that he needed. Jay showed up to for some extra miles and off we went down Kal-Haven Trail. This is an old rail trail that has been converted into a multi-use trail for walkers, runners, cyclists, and snow mobiles in the winter. Nice and easy. Not. I knew it was going to be a rough ride when we were cruising over 16 mph in the first few miles. I am not quite that strong yet...but getting stronger. I drafted off of those two all the way to Gobles...about 13 miles or so. We turned around and headed back. I gave it all I could give until my legs just would not go anymore. Jay had to take off and head home so that left Dan and I. The injured guy...and the slow guy. There was nothing tactical about my ride....I was sucking his wheel as hard as I could but I was just out of gas. Not used to the pace...and no recovery because the trail is flat. With a few miles to go Dan told me he was going to burn it out and he would meet me at the car. It jolted me a little because I did finish rather strong considering...but I was still a few minutes behind him. Overall, 27 miles of beautiful sunshine that I didn't get to enjoy....ROFL.

A solid two days of riding netted me 63 miles in two days. I cannot complain a bit, but I am really glad Monday was a rest day!

Now....Barry Roubaix is in 4 days. I am almost ready, but I do have a few more training rides to complete first.  I have set a goal that I really want to hit. 2 hours and 35 minutes. Steep for me, but it was pointed out to me that I have the potential to achieve the goal....I just need to believe in myself. I am ready. Ready to push my heart rate to the max and hold it there for two and a half hours. I have been getting some advice on tactics for this race too. I never imagined that I would need any sort of tactic to help my time, but I assure you...I will need a few trick in order to reach my goal time. All I know is this.....I will race my ass off wearing my Custer Cyclery kit and I will cross the finish line with a smile on my face.

Thanks to my friends that give me the encouragement to race my bike. Thank you to my beautiful wife and my awesome kids for giving me the support to train. I might post again before the race.....but if not. Good luck to my teammates. Everyone be safe. See you at the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment