Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Back in the dirt!

Seems like it has been forever since I have ridden singletrack. It has been weeks, because I have been doing long base building rides for the 2...yes two, centuries I have coming up. I found a small hole in the schedule and headed to Fort Custer with Dan to pre-ride the Time Trial route. I was up and out the door in about 20 minutes and headed to the trailhead.

8am. Arrivial. Unloaded and headed out. It was cool out still, but not cold enough for a base layer, and once we got going it warmed right up. The time trial is the best of the red and green trails. Not really being 100% sure what the route will be we just winged it. The first section went off without a hitch. I was feeling awkward on the Epic for a mile or so but then I got settled back in. It takes a little more effort to turn this bike than the Defy! We were holding just a steady pace and made the turn towards the trailhead on the two track. Our plan was to ride the crazy beaver and then the amusement park backwards (as the previous years always do). We only hit some minor traffic and worked our way backwards through the amusement park. This section seems to flow better this way.....but it was a ton of fun. Out of the park and hang a left to the green.

The switchback has had a lot of work done to it and I cleared it with major effort, but minimal issues. The rest of the green was going pretty good and I was just cruising my speed, taking in tips on how to attack certain areas of the trail from Dan. It was fun to have him say "hammer this hill" or "stay right and go" and be able to clear stuff that I generally struggle a little with. We shot out across the road and back to the trailhead. Time, well....you know I won't tell you that....but I am getting faster....that is for sure!

Then we reloaded the bottles and headed out for a red to blue to red combo. I was still feeling pretty good at the end...even though Dan destroyed me yet again. I was impressed with how I felt. He headed to work and I headed to Meg's recital more confident about the TT on the 10th. As of this post only 2 are in my class....so I am guaranteed 2nd...because I doubt I will beat Dan!

Hopefully I can continue some base miles and build my endurance...while continuing to lose the weight. Feeling good. Ready for some fun on Sunday. Ready for a foreign country in 14 days! oh yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment