Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

Turkey Burner

Thanksgiving was yesterday. I ate enough in one meal to take care of my caloric intake for the day. Izzy and I rode a few miles on Thursday....because temps were in the 60's. We did a little trail behind the middle school. It is a good trail for Izzy to learn on and she doesn't get overwhelmed. A few miles and then we headed out for dinner.....and ate some turkey.

A few teammates were going to ride Kal-Haven trail today from Kalamazoo to South Haven and back but that would be 70 miles and I am not in good enough shape for that. Instead, Dan and I headed up to Luton Park for a few laps. I am getting to be in better shape with every ride....but I knew that two laps here would be a small test for me. The parking lot had one car when we got there. Temps were in the high 30's and dropping. A strong wind was making it feel colder in the parking lot, but once we got started it wasn't bad at all......but we were dressed for the cold. 

The first loop was pretty good. I was able to pace and just take it easy. Every lap I ride out there I get a little faster. It is amazing that a few months ago I was crushing the trail. Lately, I have been struggling to make it around without feeling dead. Today, knowing we were riding two laps I tried to ride easier so I would have enough gas on the second lap. I was feeling some lower back pain towards the end of the lap because most of the climbing is towards the end....but we rested for a minute and then headed out for the second loop. 

It started to snow lightly during this lap. I just kept shaking my head and thinking to myself "why do I do this" but then I remember why....because mountain biking is a lot of fun. The leaves were making the trail a little slick in the corners...and I was trying a new cornering technique so it was really interesting! I watched this video and tried it....tell you what....I know that I need some work....but if I can get better I will fly around corners! Here is a video of the Black Loop that someone posted. One of the many different loops out there at Luton.

When we got done the snow was flying....by the time we go to lunch it was snowing sideways. We burned a few calories on our two loops and then had a bowl of chili on the way home. Dan and I meet at a park-n-ride so I had to unload my bike before I could head home. I did. Put my stuff in the car....and closed the door....to which my damn car chirped and locked the doors.....with my keys and cell phone inside. I used Dan's phone to call Chelle and Dan was nice enough to not make me stand in the snow and wait.

It was a lot of fun to ride today. Still working on the engine more and I will get to where I want to be. I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving! Hopefully I can sneak in a few more outdoor rides this year...but I am sure my bike doesn't mind....it is hanging out in the shower right now because I had to hose it down after the ride...and drive home today.

No comments:

Post a Comment