Pages

Monday, July 18, 2022

Solo Kal-Haven

Even though I was signed up for the Holland 100 I decided to defer. I emailed them weeks ago and told them that I wasn't going to be there and to use my entry as fund raising money.

I surely am not ready for 100. Yes, they have shorter distances. I understand that. I just am not in the frame of mind to be around over 1000 people.....and showing how real the struggle is.


So, I made plans to ride Kal-Haven instead. Knowing I needed to ride and wanting to get outside, this was a great choice. It did rain overnight, and it rained a LOT. But I figured I would drive down and check it out before just bailing out.


I loaded up and headed to Gobles. The plan was to ride from Gobles into Kalamazoo before heading back. A nice 26 mile out and back route. When I pulled into the parking area in Gobles there was an alarming number of vehicles present. This was just after 8am on a Saturday. Bravo people, bravo.

Right after I parked a few guys rode past headed toward South Haven. They were clean. I figured I was in business. I geared up and started out on the lonely jaunt to the 'Zoo.


Legs felt pretty good overall. I wasn't pushing very hard. Just riding. Found a pace and settled in. The trip was fairly uneventful. The miles just ticked by. The gravel base was solid other than a few minor greasy spots. The air was cool. My mind was wandering. I honestly cant tell you what I was thinking about. I don't know. It was just nice to be totally unplugged and cooking along.  I started to see a few people on bikes headed away from Kalamazoo. And the closer I got to 10th street, as usual, the more people I was starting to see. 

I got to the trailhead on 10th St and did a quick stock check. Everything seemed to be good. Swapped bottles around and started back to Gobles. 


As I was leaving the trail head I saw a group of people that had been walking. They were mulling around chatting and cleaning shoes. A lady goes "well you are headed back out for more??!" in a type of question statement voice. I just smiled and said "my car is still this way" and was on my way.

For those whom have never ridden this rail trail I will offer a bit of insight. From the 10th street trail head it is downhill for a long time. Not a steep intense major downhill. But a constant enough downhill that you can be cruising 20+ with minimal effort. This section really helps bulk the average speed ;)

I again found my mind wandering. I was comfortable on the bike and the pace was decent. Its funny, because its way slower than how fast I would prefer to ride. At this point, its all about the base. Speed is relative. All of a sudden, TURKEY. A hen was tucked in on the left side of the trail and she bolted when I got close. She ran across the trail and I braked enough to miss her. She figured it might be a good idea to race me after that. She turned parallel with the trail and was hauling ass down the tree line. I braked and yelled at her to get her ass out of the way. 

I feared for my life....


Anyway....where was I. Oh, I had about 6 or 7 miles to go. Still was feeling pretty good overall. But, legs were starting to get tired. I was 20 miles in, which shouldn't be a problem for me. My endurance has been on vacation for 6 months, so 20 miles was about enough. lol.

I rolled into Gobles with just under 27 miles. It was a great day to be out on the bike and back doing the sport I love...the sport that I always seem to turn my back on. 


But I was out there. And I will get there, one pedal stroke at a time. 





No comments:

Post a Comment