Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2023

First outside ride of 2023

Wow the days go fast. sheesh.


I did start this post back on Monday...and its already Thursday. Whew. 


Looking back, last week was solid. Not the best...but was still good. Had a busy week with appointments, a big birthday for my girlfriend and a lot work. (more on that later). 


After the party, I did manage to get outside and ride on Sunday. It was amazing weather for February in Michigan and I grabbed the TCX and headed out for some gravel. The roads were not the best. Riding outside is so much different than the trainer. Sure the trainer can simulate hills, but it can't deal out the punishment's that a soggy and pothole riddled gravel road can. 

The ride to the gravel is about 5 miles of pavement. Then a right hander onto the first gravel. Ugly. Soft and lumpy. I already started to rethink the ride. But I forged ahead and eventually the gravel got a little better. Funny that the east and west roads were in better condition than the north and south. But areas in the shade were terrible with mushy sandy gravel, streams of dirt, and dirty water filled potholes. 

Eventually I had to turn north to head back home. I cut my route down from 30 to 20 because of the road conditions. Glad I did, because I didn't realize there was a tailwind for the first 10 miles. Almost the whole way back to town I was riding right into the wind. Added to the soft gravel, I was thankful when the nasty gave way to pavement for the haul home.

Great to be outside. Natural vitamin D, dirt, fresh air. Just a good ride overall. Solid week riding and positive results on the scale. Progress.


At the end of the month I am going to travel to Germany for work. I am looking into renting a bike and getting some miles in while there as well. Even a short cruise around town, just to say I have ridden a bike in Germany. Rad! 


This week has been a rest week on training. While I know I need it, I don't really like it. I feel like I am being forced to hold back. The gains that I will see by having a recovery week will be so helpful, and I am following the structure. Just funny to feel like I want to go harder.

Dirty 30 in about 8 weeks. Barry Roubaix in 9. So the long races start. Just gotta keep building that base and get this weight down. Keep on chuggin.

No comments:

Post a Comment