Pages

Monday, April 23, 2018

10th Annual Barry Roubaix race recap

Relive 'Barry Roubaix'


Calm before the storm!
The day started early for this event. With Hastings hosting over 3,000 racers it can be hard to find a parking spot early. We rolled in around 7:20 and parked where I normally park, about a block from the finish line. I rolled down to Ace hardware and grabbed my packet. Then, we headed to breakfast. Michelle and Zoe were with me so we headed into the restaurant and Mike joined us (thankfully, because he paid...they don't take plastic there....).  Had a breakfast of a ham and cheese omelet with sausage gravy over the top. Perfect for this event. 

We headed to the team tent and set up shop where the team stationed us. We wandered over to the vendor tents and signed up for all the freebies and looked at what they were offering. Then, before I knew it...it was time to get ready to roll. 


Waves 2 and 3 were already staging, but I had time until my wave. I headed out for a warm-up and did just that. Spun my legs lightly for a few miles just to get them going. I am usually very tight the first couple of miles, so my warm-up was just over 2 miles. Then I headed to the tent and my wave was staging. I saw a few buddies and they were all yelling 'go Sean' and "good luck today". I was feeling pretty confident that I could hit my goal. 

3, 2, 1..GO. The start was not fast...or furious. It took me probably 15 seconds to even get to the start line because it was such a relaxed start. It didn't take long before the pace was lifted. I dropped in behind a few guys and just cruised to the first turn. The wave was pretty much together still, but starting to string out. By the time we hit Yeckley road the group was broken and riders were scattered all over the place.

The first sister wasn't bad, the second wasn't bad, but the third was worse. My heart rate was up and I was pushing to get over that damn hill. Made it, and took off again. I was pushing, but I was riding a pace I figured I could hold the whole time. Miles started to tick away. Groups would pass with anywhere from 30 riders all the way down to a single rider. Unlike Lowell a few weeks ago, I was riding with or withing view of someone the entire time. My first hour went by pretty quick, and I was right on goal pace of 12.7 mph. It felt faster, but I was on pace.

I was settled into my pace, just letting people go and even passing a few. The long time of riders on Gun Lake road was an impressive sight of color from top to bottom. The long climb to the top was made so sweet by the stupid fast descent on the other side. Knowing Sager was ahead, I kept on my pace. Not really talking much...just riding my race and giving people room. Conditions were a mix of rock hard gravel, loose gravel, pavement, and powdery sand. There was no such thing as riding in a straight line.

As I was making the turn on to Sager road I was taking stock of where everyone was around me. There were a few people behind me, not super close. There was a handful of people ahead of me and I was right behind a couple of people. As I hit the sandy entrance a rider just in front of me clipped a big rock and flared across in front of me, forcing me to lock up and lose my momentum. I hear "oh fuck!" from behind me and realize someone is in the process of crashing...thankfully not onto me. I crested the hill...it was pure carnage as far as I could see. People walking, falling, riding, bitching. I just rode where I could and was forced to walk some sections. No worries, only a mile long right? Finally I see the last hill and make my way back to normal gravel.

I start to get settled in again and I am thinking my average speed is doing okay still. I was feeling alright and was still pushing. The miles were ticking away and I started to feel a twinge. I realized I hadn't been drinking enough so I started to focus on hydrating more. Thankfully I never cramped, but that was in the back of my mind. 

I realized I was on the last tough climb for me. It gave me some motivation because I was close to goal time, so I started to press harder. Passed the "jackass" section and headed into the rollers. Stand, go, pedal, go. First roller down, hammer, go. GO. Second one down, third one, pavement....GO GO GO. I put my head down and just pedaled as hard as I could. I started to pull in a few people and was sure to call out my passes. I got to the last block and took the inside corner and buried myself to the finish line. DONE.


I missed my goal time by only 52 seconds. Considering I was nearly a full mile per hour faster than my last training ride, I will take that all day long. I knew I would be toward the back of the pack, but I am still proud of my race, how I approached it, and how it ended. Considering I am 40 pounds heavy and only missed my fastest time ever by 6ish minutes....yeah.....I will surely take that.



Side note:
I got to thinking about my finish and I remembered that Strava has a segment of the last pavement section for Barry. I know I finished strong, but I had no clue how strong it actually was until I dug up this info. I averaged 19.7 over the last 2 miles of a 36 mile race. I cannot hold that kind of average on my road bike, so I am encouraged that I was able to finish this solid on a mountain bike. 


As always thank you to all of the Volunteers that make Barry Roubaix such an amazing event.

Thank you to my wife, Michelle, and daughter, Zoe, for coming to cheer me on.

Thank you to my friends, for cheering me on and offering encouragement before, during, and after the race.

Thank you to our team sponsors for all you do!
Custer Cyclery
Giant Bicycles
Territorial Brewing
Kong Coolers





No comments:

Post a Comment