Pages

Friday, April 20, 2018

My Barry Roubaix plan


There it is.....36ish miles of gravel and pavement. I heard that Sager is indeed part of the race this year so that is a nice wrinkle to create more chaos during the race. Thankfully, that section is far enough into the race that the field will be spread out and there shouldn't be issues. Here is what my "plan" is for tomorrow in a mile by mile scheme.

Start
I will be starting in wave 5 with who knows how many people. I know the pavement start is always fast. Being on a mountain bike and knowing my limits will be my best bet here. I will start toward the back 1/3 of the pack and take an outside position. This allows me to stay with the group and avoid any wild riders. When the clock hits 10:12:00 am I will start my journey out of Hastings.

Mile 1
First left hand turn out of town towards Yeckley road. By now the wave will be spread out but people will still be jockeying for positions. At this point I will be doing my best to know blow myself up while still holding someones wheel.

Mile 2
We just turned off of the pavement and  will be making our way towards the 3 Sisters. The group will be more scattered now and the chase from the waves that started after me will be passing. I can see the pile up starting on the first sister. It continues over the top of the 3rd sister. I will be on the right side, plodding away up the climb. There will be a steady conga line of people passing on the left and handfuls of people walking on both sides. I wonder if Eye of the Tiger will be playing this year.....

Mile 3
Just over the top of the 3rd sister and it is time for a sweet descent. The gravel gives way to pavement for a fast descent across Tanner Lake Road before dropping back onto gravel shortly after. It is important here to hold your line and carry speed up and over the next climb. After that hopefully the corner marshal closes the corner at M-43 and I don't have to stop like I did a few years ago.....

Mile 4
Heart rate is still elevated, short jaunt on M-43 before a fast flatter section. More fast people from the waves that started after me are flowing past. Time to fnd a wheel and hold on!

Mile 5
Just made the left hander toward the dairy farm....time for some climbing. The first smaller ones are not bad, but then the terrain really ticks uphill for the last part of this mile. Just keep spinning!

Mile 6
Finally crested the climb and now a nice descent. Hopefully the wind is down because this area is exposed by the farm. Keep finding wheels! (in the event that any of the 22 mile riders have caught up, they turn off on Hull road)

Mile 7
A few climbs and a few rollers, I am sure the herd will be thinned even more by here....even with the people catching me from the later waves

Mile 8
Fast little downhill before the left hand turn onto Whitmore Road. Hope it is dry down there, because if not it could be interesting riding thru peanut butter! This trip south has a few rollers and nothing spectacular stands out.

Mile 9
After the road turn right use the momentum to get to Otis Lake road. Here I am thankful they took out the Sager to Shaw Road section...because...ugh. Again, a few rollers. Keep on a wheel.

Mile 10
One bigger climb and then solid rollers to the pavement of Gun Lake road. By now, a ton of people have passed and are still passing, but just keep riding your race. Should be good and comfortable at pace now.

Mile 11
A solid climb started before this mile did...and goes for a while before any relief is given. Thankfully it is pavement, but that doesn't keep gravity from reminding me of how much I weigh. Spin...find a wheel....

Mile 12
Enjoy this descent, you earned it. Get a drink, take a gel if needed. Take a deep breath, still a lot of riding to be done. Then hammer the descent and crest the next roller before the downhill to Yankee Springs Road. 

Mile 13
The marshals will stop traffic because bikes will be ranging from 15-40 mph thru this section.

Mile 14
Hold your speed on the first climb and use the descent to recover. There is a longer climb in this section but nothing super difficult. 

Mile 15
Descending toward the pond? on the right side use your speed to carry the next hill as far as you can. Then climb up and out before a left hand turn onto Hastings Point road. Nice little downhill will give you some speed, soak up this last bit of smooth pavement, gravel is coming back.

Mile 16
Holy cow a lot of people have passed me. I have passed a few as well. Those silly people that think they can hold 20 mph for the whole race only to find out they can do it for 7 or 8 miles. Another left off the pavement to a fairly deceiving climb. This section might sneak up on some people. I will be spinning here...as usual.

Mile 17
Another climb, which is the norm out here. But hold on, there is a short pavement section coming. 

Mile 18
Last little downhill before Sager Road. I am confident there will be a traffic jam here....even this distance in. The pavement ends as we turn onto Sager Road. This nasty 2 track will be an interesting combination of sand, loose sand, deep ruts, rocks, and a mud pit. This will be a heart rate elevating mile of tough riding. A few climbs, none of them nice. Sager ends with a climb and then a descent back to regular gravel.

Mile 19
Now that we are halfway done, its all down hill from here! Not really....there are still some long and tough climbs ahead. For now, we will enjoy the rollers!

Mile 20
More rollers then a trick left hand off camber turn. This corner tends to sneak up on people because we are coasting at 25-30 mph down the hill, then an abrupt left onto a corner that is less than 90 degrees. This mean you have to shave speed to get around the corner. Then, off to the races again!

Mile 21
Keep the speed up and enjoy what downhill you can find! Are you still hydrating??

Mile 22
Hang a right onto the pavement for a bit then enjoy the scenery of Little Pine Lake Road. This is a moderate uphill section but it is made enjoyable by the beautiful nature that is surrounding you. Plus, it is curvy...so you can't see the top of the hills...

Mile 23
More of the same, and then a longer climb that doesn't seem like it will ever end, because of the curves. Just keep going, it will get better eventually.

Mile 24
At the top, crush this downhill and do what you can to hold speed, the Wall is looming in the distance. Keep your eyes open when making the right hand on to Head Lake road, there might be a rider from the 22 mile course still coming thru. 

Mile 25
Welcome to The Wall. This climb will be a parking lot. There will be people walking, riding, and standing all over the place. As much as I will want to put my head down and pedal I will have to keep an eye on my surroundings. This hill is one of the toughest climbs on the entire course...and having 25 miles in  our legs will only make it hurt that much more. Whatever you do, keep going. Even when you get to the top and make the left....for another short climb, keep going. Another climb to end this mile and then  you have 10 to go!

Mile 26
Honestly....I am drawing a blank on this entire section....must mean flat. Just kidding. Enjoy the descent because the graveyard climb finishes this mile. Put your head down and pedal, you are getting closer to the finish.

Mile 27
You can feel Hastings getting closer with every pedal stroke. A solid climb that ends up at an open field ends this section. Remember, if there is a head wind, tuck in behind another ride and draft. Take every advantage you can get!

Mile 28
Last time crossing over M-43. You will come to a left hand climb that is made easier by the pavement. Lots of people start ramping up their speeds here and others are starting to tank. Which one are you?  When you turn off of M-43 stand and attack the short rise before settling back into some gravel. 

Mile 29
More climbing....are you freaking kidding me? Nothing terrible, but my legs are getting tired. Can we just be done?

Mile 30
More of the same.....gravel....people scattered all over the place. Nobody wants you to draft off of them, but because I am the size of a billboard they sure as hell want to draft off of me. Too bad I am not faster...but I don't apologize. You can't have everything. Shoot, I should drink something....

Mile 31
It sure is pretty out here, but I swear to God if this dude doesn't get off my wheel...oh wait....another climb...and there he goes. Nice dude...thanks for sucking my wheel and then not pulling me up this climb. Wait, I will try to follow this...nope. Why are walking and passing me? How is that even possible. 

Mile 32
Ok, enough of this bullshit, it is time to go....wait....another climb. Come on man. Ok, I gotta keep up with this dude. I know he is only 11 but he is gonna pull me up this hill with every ounce of his being. Awesome, thanks Kid. But now I have gravity and I know I am on the home stretch....SEE YA.

Mile 33
What are you looking at JACKASS. (side story: i was on a training ride many years ago with a buddy and we passed the farm that is on this mile. They have a tiny donkey that always looks so sad. So that day, I blurted out "what are you looking at Jackass?"...knowing my fried would think I was talking to him....then I simply pointed at the little donkey. HA). Ok, so this little flat is nice and all but this climb looks rough...focus. only a few to go....

Mile 34
Smash the rollers. SMASH them! Time to light any matches you have left. Do you see 7 riders in front of you, chase them down. Now isn't the time to feel pain in your legs. Now is the time to hammer the rollers and get this thing done! Wait, is this pavement?? GO GO GO. People are starting to ride together to work their way to the finish. Now isn't the time to be proud. Jump on a wheel or lead a train, just put the power down you are almost done!

Mile 35
Last right! GO GO GO, stay off the curb and ride a few feet inboard. You will be safe from potholes and cars on this final blast into town. Don't give up, BURN YOUR LAST MATCH!!!! There is no point in keeping it....GO. Hold your line and kill that last incline......last left!

FINISH
Take the last left at full speed and bury yourself to the finish line. Lots of people are watching...and it is downhill....so make sure you look impressive! Congrats, we finished. You have probably been done for a while....waiting for me to finish. Thats ok....I'm not mad or anything.



Good luck to all those racing Barry Roubaix tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment