Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Yankee Springs TT Recap


Yankee is generally the first MTB race of the year. With over 700 racers, it is usually one of the bigger events. This year didn't disappoint with nearly 800 people showing up to test their early season legs. I got to Deep Lake a little after 8 to help Jeff and Jacque set up the tent on team row. We watched the Elites take off and just watched as the population grew in the campground.

My Soul Sister Lisa P.
Soon enough it was time to warm up. Got a good luck hug from my sis Lisa and off I went for a few laps of the campground. Temps were in the 50's so it was very comfortable to be riding. Warmed up and started to line up. Then it was time to go..


Leaving every 10 seconds is brutal. It took all of 30 seconds for the guy behind me to pass. This was a solid indicator of how the rest of the ride was going to go. I spent the next 11 miles with people passing me like I was sitting still. I barely rode alone....even though I rode alone the whole time. It was just a steady stream of riders from the first mile to the last mile. 

At the Start ~Photo by Belen F.

Here is where if you are looking for a nice and positive recap....is where you can stop reading. The only thing positive about this race was that I finished. I took dead last by over a minute...and was 30 minutes off the lead pace. I knew it was going to be bad, but I didn't imagine it was going to be this awful. 

Bottom line is.....I am a long way from being competitive at any level right now. It won't stop me from trying again next weekend at Fort Custer, where I know the trail better and it is WAY flatter than Yankee. 




No comments:

Post a Comment