Pages

Monday, May 7, 2018

Fort Custer Stampede Recap


Since this is considered our "home race" I decided I better show up. Just like the previous weekend I had talked myself into showing up and out of showing up multiple times. This was one reason I never posted up a goal. Watching BikeReg.com leading into the race I figured I might as well go...there was only 10...wait...11 signed up. Plus, home race...I know the course...and even though I know I will get my ass handed to me....it is a freaking blast to be out there.

Before the start we did our normal mingling and chatting. Then it was time to warm up. A few spins of the pedals and it was time to line up. I haven't been to this race (...hey...I have a daughter that was in dance competitions...so bite me) in a few years and the course changed a bit. Not much, but some. The Start is still at Eagle lake and still goes blasting past the building on the beach before heading out towards red. It was time to go.....and off we went. 

14 of us this time around. By the time we passed the building there was only 2 people behind me. We hit the first straight section before diving back into the woods and the leaders were already gone. Statement...made. I knew I wouldn't hang with them, but was happy to see some of my rivals in striking distance. We rode in a group of about 6 before things started to stretch out in the trenches. I snuck around a guy before the switchback..and then the next class started to bear down on us.

I was pushing my limit and had to remind myself that this wasn't a time trial. With taking a few years off it is amazing what you forget. I felt like I was riding too hard and backed it down just a bit. A few miles in Brain passed me with a stream of "old guys". By Old guys I mean the 70+ sport riders that were hauling the mail. This was in Grannys Garden and I didn't want to hold them back so I bailed out and let the train pass. Then I started the chase back on a guy I thought was in my class.

He held me off for a long time, and the miles slowly ticked away. I got to the boat launch climb and just spun away until I reached the top, reminding myself again that I had another full lap. This section goes pretty quick before jumping off the trail and heading back to the start. I was feeling pretty good, but hadn't seen another person from my class in a while...other than the 2 I had already passed. I made it to the finish area and I see Tim. Tim is Co-founder of Territorial Brewing...one of our sponsors. I reached out and gave him an entustastic high five as I passed. Then I spotted Chelle with my second bottle. Successful handoff and I was off for my second lap.

Now my issue was wondering when the beginners were going to catch me. They were staged when I came thru and I was confident they would be streaming past me. Into the trenches and over the camel humps, I spy a guy from my class. As we head down to the creek I can hear the gang of people cheering like crazy. The guy in front of me hiccups and dabs, I take the outside line and mash the hill to get a small gap on him. I could see him every switchback and every little turn. He was just there. Sometimes close, sometimes just a bit back. A few of the sport women reeled us in and passed but none of the beginners yet.

Just keep pushing. I was baked. Cramps started in my foot. I was dehydrated the day before and was about to pay the price. Just keep going. The miles were ticking away and cleared Erin's climb for the second time. NICE. Go dude, there that guy is again. Gotta drop him. Down the rough switch back and up out of the gully I see him again. He is a climber....better than me. My only chance is to dump him on the flat and survive on the climbs. 

A few more people pass and I can feel the end coming. The long climb out of green and I then a sweet descent. I hear "hey buddy". It was Nate, the first beginner to catch me. He was gone and I had to focus on the rooty climb. Nailed it, drink and go....dangit...this dude won't quit. I push into the switchback down to Eagle lake and try to ride hard to the boat launch. This climb was going to hurt, the last climb. I had to spin. Another beginner smashes past me and I hear a rather unruly troop screaming at the top of the hill. All words of encouragement as I plodded by. Quick drink, don't see that guy....time to go...almost done.

Last punch and then the pavement towards the finish. I cross the road and am on the home stretch. I burn my last match and cross in 11th place out of 14. Instantly started to cramp and had to peel my shoes off. Thankfully I was done. 

Thanks to my family for coming to cheer me on. Big thanks to Chelle. Without your pushing I would have quit a long time ago. Love you woman. Also, thanks to all my friends, family, and teammates that cheered me on during this race. Good job to all of you too!

As always, thank you to our team sponsors:

Custer Cyclery
Territorial Brewing
Giant Bicycles
Kong Coolers

No comments:

Post a Comment